Any help with identifying what this is?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjessegg

http://imgur.com/a/gXhq2

-its soft to the touch

-red and looks smooth

- doesn't seem to be bothering him at all

sorry he wouldn't sit still for pictures of it but the ones above are the best I have.

Any help would be appreciated

it's really hard to tell from those photos

it looks like it might possibly be a slash wound, which would be from a fight with another rat...
but like I said, it's hard to tell from your photos

In the pic, as Petunia days, it looks like a skin tension slice, where there's a slice through the skin down to the muscle, then the skin tension pulls the wound open. Is it like that? If it is these heal extremely fast and well. If it's not we will need a much clearer pic (try flash?)

Hey,
Judging by the second picture, I would say it is a wound cause my another rat, the cage or something sharp.
My little boy had a wound like his between his hind leg and crotch and it was from him and his brother fighting. It healed within a few days. Does it still look like that or has it gone?

It looks like healing by second intention from an open wound. Does your rat have cagemates? If so, perhaps one sliced him open. I've had that happen to a couple of my boys.

My advice is to keep the area clean with saline flushes a couple times per day to prevent infection.

Back