Any Harlan in Winnipeg?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegger

Does anyone (Lise?) know where someone in Winnipeg can Harlan? Also, what number of HT is recommended for young rats? Thanks.

Unfortunately, we only know of the U of Guelph in Ontario. But there are several people selling it online, in the US so shipping might be costly.
I feed all my rats the 2014... when rats are ready to leave mom, they do very well on a low protein diet. There are several people that do feed the 2018 and swear by it as well.

Yes, there is no Harlan in Winnipeg unfortunately.

Depending how badly you want it, you can order through petfooddirect.com and have it shipped to Menke's parcel service then drive down to Menke's (USA) and pick it up. I have always fed the 18% protein as a staple diet to all ages and they do wonderfully.

Depending what part of the city you live in there is a decent rodent block available at a pet store in St. Vital that is manufactured in Manitoba (PM me for more info) but it is only affordable if you have a low number (2-3) rats.

Thanks. I have been using "Critter Blox" made in MB that I picked up in St. Vital (Aardvark or something), but there was no ingredient breakdown so I wasn't sure what I was feeding my 2 young girls. I'll keep using that and maybe check with some pet stores to see if they can ship some in, or might even call the UofM.

Pegger said:
Thanks. I have been using "Critter Blox" made in MB that I picked up in St. Vital (Aardvark or something), but there was no ingredient breakdown so I wasn't sure what I was feeding my 2 young girls. I'll keep using that and maybe check with some pet stores to see if they can ship some in, or might even call the UofM.

Yes, that is the blocks I was talking about... ;) I have seen the ingredient breakdown -- you can ask to see it. It is based off of the Purina blocks, they use soybean meal. It is approx 20% protein. Much better than anything else you will find in pet stores around here. I fed it for a few years before switching to Harlan.

Pet stores don't have access to lab supplier, and I haven't talked to U of M but I did talk to St. B Research and they have no interest in helping out pet owners.

Pegger said:
So where do you get your Harlan from and what's the cost w/shipping?

It isn't available anymore.

I got my last bag months ago when the lab in Ontario was still selling to people on this forum in large quantities. I just ran out, and am currently using pet store food.

I will be purchasing from petfooddirect I think, unless a forum friend is able to come through. :)

If you are going to order, let me know and I'll go in with you and anyone else who wants to in the area. I have a paypal account and could do the purchasing.

Back