Any advice is greatly appreciated

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ihpp

Hey all this is like my second time posting here. My rat just went to the vet after my other boy suddenly died Saturday morning. He got a clean bill of health except hes a little over weight and he has a skin infection of some sort. Strep zooepidemicus is what I was told. I can't find anything on it other then it comes from horses. Specifically in their uterus. I have no idea. Hes on an antibiotic for it. But I posted the pic to a lady I plan on adopting two from so he isnt alone and she said it looks like lice or mites. She also said my vet should have been able to tell that just by looking. So I'm baffled. Here is the pic.

If anyone has ever heard of this or can confirm its lice or mites please let me know. I took a wet paper towel and tried to wipe it off and nothing came off on it. No blood or anything like lice would give off if squashed.

Attachments

• 20200415_211334.jpg
    20200415_211334.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 143
I'd treat for mites/lice just to cover those bases, but it doesn't look like either to me. It looks like maybe staph, or too much protein in his diet. What do you feed him? I could be very wrong though. Lilspaz is spot on with this stuff, so message her and have her look at this thread. If you treat for mites or lice, get salemectin from the vet. NOT over the counter, or store brand stuff. It's not too expensive. It's also sold as stronghold, and is a little cheaper than the name brand. But you'll need a script from your vet for it.

Well it seems the antibiotics are working on his skin. I have no earthly clue as to what he has because I can't find anything on it

Did you see the vet put something on the back of his neck or shoulders?

That pic you posted looks like fur thinning from lice. Were those little dots on his skin?

If not then it might have been a pyoderma,which is a bacterial infection of the skin..not the strep your vet was thinking of.

Here's my article on ectoparasites
http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html?m=1
Here's a pic of a severe case of pyoderma. Sometimes it presents just with thinning fur but there is usually multiple scabs not just one lesion.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/rattiluv/Faith/Faith3jul12.jpg

I had spread his fur out to get the picture. He's pretty furry. Unfortunately, I was not able to go in with him due to covid-19. They called me from the office while I was in the car. So I have no idea what he did or did not do.

Ahhhhh. It's very likely they dosed him with Revo then (nothing on your bill?). Revo is one drop that absorbs into the bloodstream, kills any ectoparasite very quickly and protects them for almost a month. If the skin is resolving and the fur is growing back that is likely what happened. Bacterial skin infections take a very very long time to resolve do it's unlikely to be the antibiotics this fast.

That's what I'm doing. I made him an apt to go because his cage mate died suddenly last Saturday. So that monday I wanted to make sure he was good. I had no idea about his skin.🙈🤷‍♀️ I still cant figure out what he said he has/had because everything I find says it comes from horses. I'm going to try and find a new vet

Back