Any advice? Eye problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agustin

Hello everyone, before i start i wanted to say that english is not my first language so ill do my best.
Im from Argentina, and pet rats are not very common here, so (besides the fact the vet is closed now) i wanted to seek some advice from you or someone that had something similiar with the rat.
After reading many topics i decided to start this one.

Mia is a small rat, not even a month old, today she was playing with other two girl rats i have, they all are friends, but then, i heard a fight, and she was missing some hair from the back, well... i thought that could be worse (the other girls are 4 months old, and one specially is very territorial). I separated them in the playzone and everything was fine.

After a while, when the time to go to the cage arrived, i noticed blood in Mia right eye. And something coming out of it, like "skin" or "eye skin" (sry, dont know the englis word for it) she is/was ok, smiling, eating, drinking water, wasnt scraching it... she seems fine. There is not much bleeding, almost none by now.

Any idea what can it be? maybe got harmed when they fought each other? maybe she scratched accidentally? i really dont know what to do, should i try to clean a bit the eye with water? does it look bad?

Ill go to the Vet asap tomorrow, but i fear they dont know what to do, they sell the rats for food, they dont care about them... i hope im wrong.

thx for your time reading this, i know my english sucks, but i wanted to be part of a pet rat community that know what they are talkin about.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It could be a scratch from the fighting. Can you get polysporin eye and ear drops there or something similar? If she doesn't get better she may need meds too from a vet. By the way your English is fine.

Ya, I agree with mamarat, it looks like maybe a scratch. If you have good eye drops, the kind that is medicated, here it's called polysporin eye drops. If not, I would make sure to clean it very well and then if it gets much worse, see the vet when you are able too.

It does look like a little scratch. Apart from getting an antibiotic eye cream for the eye (you might be able to find this in a local drug store/pharmacy), your vet may prescribe a topical eye ointment. We have one here called BNP which is very good for clearing up eye injuries. Your vet may prescribe an oral antibiotic for a couple of weeks too; perhaps something like amoxicillin.

Perhaps just wipe the eye with a clean cloth and a little warm water for now. Yes, look for POLYSPORIN eye drops or ointment in your local stores. A bit of that once or twice a day may be all that it takes.

I hope your little one will be healed soon; and yes, your English is excellent. :)

Back