Another preggers question.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuke99

Hullo. I am a very new rat owner. I recently got 2 females. One from a pet shop (where they only had one male and one female), and one from a breeder (who I suspect breeds for feeders although he didn't say for sure. The big ugly lizard in his room kinda gave it away :shock: )

Well, surprise surprise, the female from the pet shop is preggo. :doh: Here is my question. I know I need to seperate them before the babies arrive...but what about the other girl? Won't she get lonely once I move Mom? The younger girl is still very skittish and will climb on my lap, but won't allow me to pet her or hold her. They both get lots of play time on my bed...will play time each day be enough for her? Since I'm about to have a litter on my hands, I'm not exactly keen on getting another rat just to keep non-Mom company.

Eeep!

You could make sure the little one gets visits with the mom. Lots of cuddling with the lone girl should be enough, All she has to wait really is about 4 to 5 weeks before she is reunited.
Some people wait till the litter is 3 weeks old and then add the "aunt".
How old are both girls?

I'm new to having rats as a part of our family but I can suggest one thing for sure~READ THIS FORUM & LISTEN TO THE USERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY. I jump on here and read read read every chance I get to learn. Good luck! :thumbup:

Nez (the Mom to be) is about 3 1/2 months, and Zumi is 2 months. I'm keeping them together as long as possible...but Nez is starting to get a bit nippy towards Zumi.

Well...day 24 has passed and no sign of bubbies. WHEW. I guess Nez just really likes her food. She is still quite round and all her nipples are showing...I'm just attributing it to her much better diet now (at the pet store she was on a hamster mix :roll: Hopefully she's grow into her roundness...she's still pretty young.

jorats said:
I've noticed with young rats, they go through a round belly stage. Always scares me at first. lol

This happened with us also. They gain weight so quickly! Its always better to be cautious though. Glad everything worked out!

When my babies turned about a month and a half, i noticed all of them had round bellies. Worried me at first, but then i noticed the boys had them too. :doh: :laugh4:

Good luck with your litter. I never had a preggo female so I can't tell you much. But hey good luck with Nez. And my oldest rat currently's named Zumi ^^' She's a very very very nice girl. Hope it turns out the same way for you. :D

DarkBlade said:
Good luck with your litter. I never had a preggo female so I can't tell you much. But hey good luck with Nez. And my oldest rat currently's named Zumi ^^' She's a very very very nice girl. Hope it turns out the same way for you. :D
That's awesome...are you Japanese too? My last cat was named Neko, which is why my current cat has an English name :wink:

Back