Andy Mar 13th 2005, Fred Mar 13th 2006 --Apr 29th 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Today, I made the hardest decision... I decided to let Andy and Fred go. Both where put to sleep today by my vet. I know it was time for Andy, he had been fighting chronic myco and most recently had started to panic in the cage. Fred has a pt and it was progressing.

Ironically, both share Mar 13th one year apart for their birthdays.
Andy joins his brother Dallas, Felix and Simon. My Oshawa babies are together again. They came to me when they were 5 weeks old with and old grumpy big blue guy called Umpa.
Andy was a good boy, he and his twin Dallas were inseparable, nothing bothered him but other rats new he wouldn't be bossed around either.

Baby Andy:

Oshawababy5.jpg

Agoutibabycloseup.jpg

Andy_edited-1-2.jpg

Fred came to me from New Brunswick. An amazing collaboration that brought a bunch of NB babies to Ontario.
Fred had been skittish all his life, didn't really like to be cuddled and also suffered from myco on and off all his life but nothing too intense. Last week Fred actually climbed on me and asked for cuddles. If I stopped petting, he would be his teeth gently on my finger so I would start again. I became very sad because I knew, a change in behaviour usually means a change in health. I kept a close watch and sure enough he started signs of pituitary tumour. I realize now Fred was saying goodbye. 2 days ago, Fred stopped eating and he started to circle. I knew it was time. Fred joins some siblings but best of all, he joins mom Corrie and dad Byron.

Baby Fred:

smNBBoys5.jpg

smFredprisonbars.jpg

Fred2_edited-1-1.jpg

I will miss these two sweeties sooo much. My heart is breaking today.

I am soo sorry Jo that you had to let both of them go at the same time. :(
Sweet Fred and Andy were wonderful boys that I loved to hear about and Fred joins his 2 sisters of mine.

My thoughts are with you and your family today. When you become too sad, go up and watch Daizy and the babies and enjoy life renewed. (((hugs))))

So, so sorry Jo. You have to know they've had the best care possible and Fred in his own sweet way was telling you that in the end.

You've got quite the group of new wee bubs to keep your heart occupied. Thinking of you alot.

:hugs:

I am so very sorry Jo.
Andy :heart: looks like a wonderful boy.
Thank you so much for giving Fred :heart: the best home possible.

Fred :heart: also joins his auntie Nettie, a brother and 4 other sisters.

I'm so sorry Jo. What an especially sad time to lose your boys when there are happy outcomes of operations and even 10 new lives around you. Such a bittersweet time and I'm sure you must be emotionally wrung out. It's the good outcomes and the new lives shared that help us to keep looking ahead when we've lost such a precious part of our past I think, but nothing can ever replace the love & lives we've shared with each baby we say goodbye to, or ease the grief that only time can bring us to terms with.
Thank goodness we are able to have pictures of them, and you sure do have some that really capture the spirit of your kids as well as their beautiful looks. Both Andy & Fred were well-loved kids, and deservedly so.
It's a devastating day for you, and a very sad one for so many who have loved your boys thru you. To you & Scott & Julien & Matthieu - I'm so sorry, my heart goes out to you.

I'm so very sorry, Jo. :sad3: We had a long talk about your sweeties and if you still need to talk, I'm always here for you. Big hugs :hugs: to you, one of the best rattie mom in the world.

Oh gosh, to lose two at a time...unbearable!

That second photo of Andy is just amazing. They were both very handsome little rat-men! I'm so sorry for both losses. :(

Oh my gosh, Jo!!! I'm so sorry :sad3: Both boys were such handsome boys and were loved deeply throughout the rat shack... They have a place in all of our hearts and I know that we will all miss them terribly :sad3:

I'm so sorry, Jo. Two dear boys on the same day. I recognize Andy from one of your avatars; poor sweetie did not have a long life, but I bet that he packed a lot of fun into a short time. Fred, always dear to my heart, was much luckier and lived a long life given his genetics. Thank you for giving him a wonderful life. Please give a pat from me to Archie, who will miss him.

I am glad that you have your family and mamarats' new babies to comfort you. (((Take good care.)))

Lilspaz, you are so right! I was so upset by the news that I got the math all wrong. It makes me feel better to realize that Andy had such a long life. He did really well, and his life was full of good fun and love.

It's rough to see the Maritimers struck down by PT and myco so young. I still miss Corrie terribly, never expecting to lose her so early, and I would like to think of her and Byron with their kids at the Bridge party.

Andy and Fred, we honour your memories. :heart:

Oh Jo I am so sorry you have lost Andy and Fred. They were wonderful boys. A party tonight at Rainbow Bridge celebrating a new life and a great mommy. They will never forget the great life they had at Joanne's and Scott's house. RIP special ones.

Ann

I'm very sorry Jo........It is so hard to lose these special little souls. They get so special as they age......Your boys can play with my Sydney and my other rattie girls that have passed on at the Bridge....... :hugs:

Back