and on to slava... wheezing? something wrong? help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarunia

so i've been noticing lately that slava's been breathing really oddly, it's not all the time, but mostly during play. when i first got him i was paranoid that he had mycoplasma as he kept sneezing and sneezing, but it subsided pretty quickly so i simply attributed to his being curious about the air in his new environment.
when i moved into my new flat, the wheezing began, or at this point i began to notice it more. although i smoke (bad, dirty habit, i know), he has only been around it maybe once, but i do know that the woman who lived here before was a heavy smoker (i don't smoke in the house, however) so the flat does smell thereof and i am working to get this covered up... i noticed his breathing especially when my boys woke me up this morning while playing. i let them out for a bit, then held slava up to listen to his chest, and his breathing was definitely quite heavy. i've noticed also that his head weaves back and forth, but i have always just assumed this was because he had such poor eyesight, but i've also heard this connected with respiratory problems...

now comes the terrible part (for me, anyway, as i feel SO irresponsible :oops: )... i would take him to the vet, as i know that's what he needs, but unfortunately i'm strapped for cash until my scholarships come through in the end of august :doh: i feel REALLY terrible that i can't give him the proper helps that he needs... because, trust me, if i could i would. do you know of what this may be? or anything that i can do? i am going to call the vet (i found a vet in town that treats "exotic" creatures, which includes, apparently rodents) and ask about any financing options, but i doubt that there will be any that can wait virtually until the end of august. i don't want slava to get any sicker, but i'm just not sure what else i can do...... :cry3:

It's worth checking with the vet to see about financing options, because your Slava almost certainly needs some antibiotics (ask for Baytril and Zithromax). Meanwhile there are some things you can do to ease his respiratory distress: make sure the air is reasonably humid, keep him cool if your apartment is too hot (having a low dish with some water and frozen peas or ice will help).

Do you have any friends who'd loan you the money for antibiotics?

Back