Amoxicillin workin BUT Diarrhea! What to do?- HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey guys!
So my rattie has been having some sort of infection in her lady parts for over a month now. With a vet and suggestions from the board, we tried many solutions...but nothing was working.

Just the other day, I started her on Amoxicillin since I heard it's good for urinary infections and I think it MIGHT actually be getting better! She is on the end of her second day and it is still leaking, but less and not as smelly.

ONLY problem? You guess it.....diarrhea. I heard amox can give ratties the runs and I know they can get dehydrated fast. I worry about keeping her on the 10 days of amox...but since there is potential of it working I have no idea what to do.

Do you guys suggest I stop Amox? Or do I change it to one dose a day? Or every other day? Or lawnmower through it?

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated!

:thanks: M.

What about some probiotics? Can ratties have some bio acidophilus? I've heard that they can but I'm not sure of doses.

I know that dairy renders baytril ineffective but is it the case with amox.. If not, then what about some probiotic active yoghurt to help settle the gut.

@Claireybell2477 Thank you for your reply! I actually already put her on probiotics! :) I've implemented Bene-bac in her food and also yogurt. She is on Baytril too....but I just make sure to wait a few hours before giving yogurt. Unfortunately, she still has soft soft poops!

I'm also giving her crackers to settle her tummy. And grapes to hydrate. Poor thing.... :(

I wonder if I should continue with the meds. I'm so frustrated because I think the meds are working....but I worry about dehydration. :(

I don't think there is a risk of getting dehydrated unless it is really running out her butt. You can do the pinch test to see how quickly her skin rebounds. And you can always take her in for supportive therapy (SQ fliuds). If it's just soft poops, I would continue with the yogurt and probiotics, making sure to give it a few hours after the antibiotics so they don't get deactivated by the meds.

I wouldn't stop the meds but I would buy the real probiotics, the kind kept in dark containers that require refrigeration. A lot of times, those yogurts are useless for probiotics. I would also cut out fruits for now.

@jorats Do you know where I would purchase refrigerated probiotics in dark containers? Vitamin/Health food store? Whole foods?

Thanks so much!
:love5:

@jorats Do you know where I would purchase refrigerated probiotics in dark containers? Vitamin/Health food store? Whole foods?

Thanks so much!
:love5:

We use activia (yogurt), but you do have to remember to wait at least two hours before or after giving your antibiotics before giving the probiotics as mentioned before.

Back