Am I doing the right things?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redgal said:
I couldn't imagine getting any pet and then just ignoring it....sadly, that is what a lot of people do I think. I see it all the time around here and it makes me SO mad. If they would just give them a chance...animals are amazing and can offer so much if we give them a lot in return. Rats are no different....I could play with them all day!

I'm the same way. If I'm off or free for the day, I let them crawl all over me all day. That's how my first two boys were so socialized. I did a lot less grabbing and holding and let them come around to me. Before I knew it, I was being kissed, wrestled with, and so on. I'm doing the same with Basho and Issa. However, you do have to handle them. Rub behind those ears and watch the bruxing begin.

Well the biting is nibbling for sure, little love nibbles. Although they did nibble a little hard on my daughter's finger when they first met her, but the more they get used to her too, the less they are doing it so I am not worried. We can both stick our hands out now and they give licks and seem to groom our hands! LOL we love it when they do that.

They are doing so well now. I can hold my hands out and they hop on quite willingly and climb all over us to explore... and seem happier when i go to pick them up as they know it ususally means some fun time on the bed! The bruxing is now for sure a contented bruxing and they love getting treats and scritches off us. Yup, behind the ears is their favourite! So cute!

Simone, you are right I was pretty nervous at first to handle them and wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing but now that I am more confident and relaxed they seem to sense that and be more relaxed themselves. We have learnt a lot in a short amount of time and they amaze me everyday! We recently made them a huge tunnel out of dryer hose and attached it to their CN so they run all through that and really enjoy it. We :heart: our new babies!

Back