Am I doing everything I can for my rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry about your grandfather... this is a double whammy for you. :(
But if it helps, I really don't think your little man is in any pain. Most of my rats with pt are never put to sleep. I nurse them until they pass which is many of the times in my arms. But not everyone feels they can do this and pts is not a wrong decision either.

I'm so sorry about your grandfather.
You have to do what feels right to you with Tux. I know with my guys with PT, I usually put PTS when they stop eating. :hugs:

Deciding when to PTS is really hard. Sometimes you hold on longer that what's necessary. Sometimes you do it when it feels "right" and so they can leave with some dignity and then you second guess yourself.

You just need to do what feels right. If he is really ready to go, you'll know.

Thanks everyone.
I took Tux with me on a visit to my families place, because my vet in the city here was on vacation and because my vet in my hometown will treat rats. Around 10 pm the last night I was home (yesterday) Tux started having seizures. His body was rigid and his breathing was very light and I really thought he was dying right then and there. I didn't think he'd make it through the night.
I laid him beside me wrapped in my scarf until I accidentally fell asleep. When I woke up I put him in his little cage with a hot water bottle. The next day I was shocked to see that he was still alive, but he had deteriorated so much in the last 12 hours since his first seizure.
I called the vet and made an appointment to put Tux asleep. It was apparent that he wasn't going to live much longer anyways, and I didn't want him to suffer the last day or two he would be alive. It was so heart-breaking. It happened at 11:30 this morning and I've been crying off and on all day. He was such a sweetheart. I'm going to miss him so much.
My father buried him up by a waterfall on land our family owns, near a cabin my father is building me. I left him wrapped in my favorite scarf that he loved to crawl into, just because it didn't feel right to take him out of it.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

Ratties040.jpg

mariehanifen said:
Thanks everyone.
I took Tux with me on a visit to my families place, because my vet in the city here was on vacation and because my vet in my hometown will treat rats. Around 10 pm the last night I was home (yesterday) Tux started having seizures. His body was rigid and his breathing was very light and I really thought he was dying right then and there. I didn't think he'd make it through the night.
I laid him beside me wrapped in my scarf until I accidentally fell asleep. When I woke up I put him in his little cage with a hot water bottle. The next day I was shocked to see that he was still alive, but he had deteriorated so much in the last 12 hours since his first seizure.
I called the vet and made an appointment to put Tux asleep. It was apparent that he wasn't going to live much longer anyways, and I didn't want him to suffer the last day or two he would be alive. It was so heart-breaking. It happened at 11:30 this morning and I've been crying off and on all day. He was such a sweetheart. I'm going to miss him so much.
My father buried him up by a waterfall on land our family owns, near a cabin my father is building me. I left him wrapped in my favorite scarf that he loved to crawl into, just because it didn't feel right to take him out of it.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

Ratties040.jpg

Oh God Marie, I am so sorry. :tearful:

The darling little man. :cry:

Remember that Tux loved you and that his little world revolved around yours. He will watch over you from the Rainbow Bridge... he will never be far. :love6:

You were wonderful to him through the very end. You could not have done him a kinder service than to let him go to sleep. :rose:

It is the hardest decision a pet owner can make for a beloved pet, and it takes a great deal of inner, emotional, strength.

You have earned every honor and respect in both my eyes and, I'm sure, in Tux's. :heart:

Life is a cycle. It may not be at a level which we can see, hear or feel... but Tux lives and you will see your beloved ratman again. :cuddle: :rose: :love6: :heart:

I'm so sorry,
You did everything you could but they are going to die at some point from something. If they have meds to to fix anything that can be fixed, and help to get out and really live the best they can in thier last days, and love, comfort & safety then they had no precious time wasted, and little or no suffering, (they are great at using mind-pain-relievers for normal aging discomforts). They know when they are neglected and when they are adored, and your Tux lived all of his days it sounds like.
It was sweet of you to leave him the scarf, I'd have probably taken it because it represented him. I would be selfish, you were a giving mom as long as you could be. Hugs

I have yet one more question, regarding my other Rat, Cloudy Boy. I've noticed that ever since Tux was sick, Cloudy Boy hasn't been himself. He's usually very energetic, but he's really slowed down and isn't eating enough. He just sits in one spot, and is much more affection with me then usual. He seeks out my attention constantly, which is odd for him. He looks fine, his coat is beautiful and his eyes are shiny. I'm worried that maybe he misses Tux? Is it normal for some rats to mourn a lost cagemate? Cloudy was the social butterfly of the group...

I'm so sorry about Tux. To lose him just after the tragic death of your grandfather must be especially hard.

I think that you are right about Cloudy Boy grieving the loss of Tux.

Thanks everyone.

No,Cloudy Boy has a cage mate, Sunshine. They are both actually my original rats that I got when they were adolescences. I bought Tux a few weeks later when he was already an adult rat, because he was supposed to be fed to a snake. Sunshine isn't a very social rat, and him and Tux often didn't get along. He seems to be doing fine. Actually, he's gotten rather plump.

I've been giving Cloudy a lot of extra love and attention, and I've been hand feeding him. He tends not to eat from the bowl in the cage, because he just stays on the top floor and looks sad.

I was hoping to find a new toy or something to perk him up. I was thinking that when I got paid I'd buy a container, some seeds and soil, because I hear they like digging around in little "gardens". Maybe that will take his mind of things...

I am so very sorry for your loss.

It certainly sounds like Cloudy Boy is grieving.
With lots of attention from you, I'm sure the two of you will be able to get through this together.

Back