Alex Wants A Snake - *whew* a phase.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

We were at Oliver Pets & Co (didn't know they sold animals until I was inside) and I've never been there before. Most on the conditions were not agreeable at all - their Chinchilla needed a cage cleaning so desperately, and the two rats the had have bad myco symptoms. But I had no way to go anywhere else in short notice for supplies for Maria(Bambina) & Christmas stockings. Anyway, I turn around and Alex is crouched in front of a glass wall cooing.
Anyway I went up to see what it was and lo-and-behold, a python (my boyfriend coos at reptiles...). He called it cute. Don't get me wrong, I like snakes, I just firmly believe that an animal who's diet must remain the same as in the wild when domesticated shouldn't be domesticated - cats, dogs, rats, parrots, etc all live on food formulated for them, and snakes can't have that so... That's what bothers me about people owning snakes. I believe that the wild and the world of domestic animals is completely different and not even related at all, except where snakes are concerned, and it's just... taboo to me I guess? I don't know how to explain it.
All I could think about was what this snake had to eat in the last little while. It bothered me, a lot.
But up to the cash desk we went and the only male employee there has a python wrapped around his shoulders (they had three total, and a corn snake).
Alex asked to hold it.

He's been looking up snake forums and pictures ever since. Obsessively so. He want's all kinds of reptiles - chameleons, frogs, geckos, etc. but the one thing he's only just told me that he's always wanted is a snake.
Of course.

I've explained to him thoroughly my conditions:
1) the obvious, NO BIG SNAKES. Anything that needs something bigger than a mouse is an absolute NO. He's told me he wants a big snake but if he wanted a big snake he shouldn't be so determined to marry a rat-lover.
2) If it needs a rodent, FROZEN. And I NEVER want to see the bag, what's in the bag, tell me where it is in the freezer so I can avoid that, etc.
3) Consider something small enough to live off crickets/goldfish.
4) It will never be in the same room as the girls. Ever. Never ever ever ever ever ever EVER.
5) Try and find a good breeder than handles them well. If he's getting a snake, it better be damn well socialized and want to stay with him and not wander around.

Not going to lie, I will welcome whatever animal he wants with open arms but it bothers me. I'm scared to have a predator and it's prey in the same apartment but he really, really wants a snake. He said his mum always said no to a snake (smart woman), but now that he's out of the house and finding a job... the only thing stopping him is this rat lover right here. If he does get one it'll be hard for me NOT to want to handle it too. I love all animals, from the tiny'n'freaky to the big'n'sleepy, but I'm IN love with rats

I want him to be happy - I want him to have what he wants. He would never get a snake that would forsake any of those conditions, but I feel bad limiting him to snakes that wouldn't be as docile as a ball python (apparently that's why they're so popular - they like to stay with their people). He loves the girls and would never let anything happen to them.

It just bothers me on principle, I guess. I have a weird feeling about it, not an omen-like feeling but more or less discomfort. I'm uncomfortable, and I've told him, but I'm willing to get over it for a smaller snake.... I guess.

I understand and respect that snakes need to eat but my issue is that there is no humane way to euthanize feeders so I could never own a snake knowing that.

smilez_n_hugs said:
I understand and respect that snakes need to eat but my issue is that there is no humane way to euthanize feeders so I could never own a snake knowing that.
I know... I have no idea how feeder-breeders kill their frozen stock. Alex was telling me last night about how some guys on their forum keep live feeders then... end their life before putting them in the tank, but NO ONE says how they do it. I really don't want him to have to feed a snake any kind of feeder at all...
Why can't there be little itty bitty domestic snakes that eat mealworms and crickets?

at my college (I study animal management), there is a freezer full of DEATH. I could only just handle seeing dead, frozen little mice, and then once, I saw 4 adult, frozen rats. I was actually traumatized. I wanted to be sick

TheHermit said:
end their life before putting them in the tank, but NO ONE says how they do it.

Most feeders are killed with a CO overdose (very painful and inhumane) or just thrown in the freezer alive.

As for not having a snake in the same room as your rats... are you aware the snake and rats will still be able to very much smell each other regardless? It may be fine with some rats but others may be very stressed by it.

Not to mention many people do not invest enough money in adequate habitats for snakes and they sometimes get out. I couldn't take that risk, I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened.

Edited for typo.

TheHermit said:
Why can't there be little itty bitty domestic snakes that eat mealworms and crickets?

We ere just talking about this in Chat, and VNB mentioned that brown snakes could live off of just bugs I beleive, but you might ant to look into that..

I am so torn by this whole discussion, because, I, like alex, have always wanted a snake but I am so against feeding animals to other animals. It stinks.

victoria said:
Most feeders are killed with and CO overdose (very painful and inhumane) or just thrown in the freezer alive. .
OK.
:sad3: :sick2: :sad3:
That does it for me, if he's getting a snake it better be too small to swallow a tail. I don't know how I'll break this to him but he shouldn't have been so supportive of the rat thing if he wanted a snake. I don't even know if they sell domestic snakes that small, anywhere, or if there even ARE snakes that small. It bothers me too much.
Thrown in the freezer ALIVE?
Aren't there laws against doing that kind of thing?!

okay scratch what I said about the brown snake, apparently they are highly venomous and can kill you O.O. Perhaps a garder snake? Im sure there is a type of snake that eats only bugs, he would just have to find it : P

Sadly there aren't any laws against that... believe me, I wish there were!

Maybe share with him the ways they actually kill rodents? And ask him if he could see someone doing that to YOUR (shared!) rats?

Willing to bet that while the theory might be... sort of an ignorance-is-bliss situation, the cold hard reality of cervical dislocation, of CO2 poisoning or just plain hypothermia to an animal he can relate to might turn him off completely.

I have to say, I find the fact that your partner in life is choosing a pet that goes 100% against your choice of pets very disturbing. If my husband came home and told me he wanted a snake, I'd seriously would be asking questions like what is wrong with our relationship that you feel the need to bring home a pet that can cause extreme stress to mine.

Did you ask him why he wants a snake and what he finds appealing about them?

Maybe if you know this you could find another reptile that meets his likes.

I agree with victoria. I would be beyond paranoid having a snake in the house o_O

jorats said:
I have to say, I find the fact that your partner in life is choosing a pet that goes 100% against your choice of pets very disturbing. If my husband came home and told me he wanted a snake, I'd seriously would be asking questions like what is wrong with our relationship that you feel the need to bring home a pet that can cause extreme stress to mine.

But people have rats and cats all the time. Cats are a natural predator of rats, and can cause rats stress. I'm not sure that I really see the difference between having rats and cats and rats and snakes.

Edited to clarify

crumbilina said:
jorats said:

But people have rats and cats all the time. I'm not sure that I really see the difference...

My husband also really wanted snakes when we were dating. The son of the couple that babysat him for 13 years (he's a like an older brother to him) had snakes and he was intrigued. I never wanted them, but when I got rats and realized they needed to be fed whole prey I really objected. It took a while but he finally came around.

I think sometimes with men they really don't think ideas through...

I don't think cats and rats is the same thing as snakes and rats or ferrets and rats. I guess it's a matter of opinion... I remember in the early 90s the Toronto Humane Society would not adopt a cat to us because we had a dog. A dog that had lived with many cats before we brought him to Canada with us when we moved here.

If he is dead set on a snake then talk to him about a DeKay's Brown Snake. They stay tiny and only eat bugs.

However I'd strongly advise him to start with something like a gecko. In many ways they are similar, including the need for a very exact kind of climate in their tank.

Point out to him that a set-up for a snake is very expensive.

(I'll write more later but I need to leave right now.)

TheHermit said:
victoria said:
Most feeders are killed with and CO overdose (very painful and inhumane) or just thrown in the freezer alive. .
OK.
:sad3: :sick2: :sad3:
That does it for me, if he's getting a snake it better be too small to swallow a tail. I don't know how I'll break this to him but he shouldn't have been so supportive of the rat thing if he wanted a snake. I don't even know if they sell domestic snakes that small, anywhere, or if there even ARE snakes that small. It bothers me too much.
Thrown in the freezer ALIVE?
Aren't there laws against doing that kind of thing?!
Sadly, nope. Some vets actually euthanize that way. In a box and in a freezer.

crumbilina said:
jorats said:

But people have rats and cats all the time. Cats are a natural predator of rats, and can cause rats stress. I'm not sure that I really see the difference between having rats and cats and rats and snakes.

Edited to clarify

I don't agree with this. Cats and mice, yes, but not rats. Rats are far too big to be a natural prey to cats unless the cats are truly feral. I've always had cats and rats, my rats have never been bothered by my cats.
We also see videos of rats in the wild actually going after cats.

I wanted a snake for a very long time. Actually, last year I was all set to buy one until my roommates said no since they were scared of snakes. They were also scared of rats... but I convinced them to let me have some ha.

Anyways for whatever reason I failed to realize that the pre killed frozen feeders come from the EXACT same place as the live ones being sold. The horrible rat mills. And that they are not humanely euthanized. No idea how I failed to put two and two together. But finally it clicked after a discussion in chat. My desire to own a snake is completely killed. I still enjoy watching them, handling them and just really like them but would never own one.

Instead I hike and when I see one in the wild I stop and admire it (and sometimes catch it haha, but always gently and always release it within minutes).

jorats said:
crumbilina said:
jorats said:

Edited to clarify

I don't agree with this. Cats and mice, yes, but not rats. Rats are far too big to be a natural prey to cats unless the cats are truly feral. I've always had cats and rats, my rats have never been bothered by my cats.
We also see videos of rats in the wild actually going after cats.

I agree with Jo. I have a cat and she plays with my rats but honestly if one was more scared of the other it would be my cat being afraid of my rats. I know of other people who own rats and cats and it's never been a problem for them either. Whereas I believe a snake would pose a big threat to any rats living under the same roof. It sucks that Alex's desired pet causes such problems to the pets you guys already share. Maybe there's some kind of snake that doesn't need to eat rodents or the like. What about a garter snake like Cinderwolf mentioned?

I have 6 cats.
I can have out 6 ratties and have the back of the couch and my knees covered with kitties.
Simon my redheaded cat (with freckles) truly loves to catch mice and huge rats.
They are always the "country cousin" and and NOT the family pets.

I like snakes but:
- they are wild animals bred in captivity .... not fair to keep them in captivity imo
- they are usually not kept properly in captivity
- there is no humane way of killing small animals for them to eat

imo if a person really cares about snakes then you get a yard and make it into a good habitat for the snakes that naturally live in your area.
Enjoy wild animals living in the wild.
My father had a snake living under a bush in his yard so he didn't mow the grass around the bush.
If a person is really set on getting snakes that live in tropical areas, get a career and find a job in a country where they live in the wild.
A friend taught for awile in Mexico. They had wild lizards crawing in the walls in their home.
The lizards were not "pets". They ate the bugs. Would be a perfect place to live for someone who likes lizards.
Easy to say, I know, but if I was dating or living with someone got a snake, that would be the end of the relationship.

I can't understand why people think it is ok to breed and own wild animals just because they want to.

Back