Albert broke his front tooth off, and other miseries- great update!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Well, I had a wonderful rattie honeymoon from meds and ailments, but it has ended...
The fun starts with Tabi having an external ear infection (stinky ear, no other signs), Toby's respiratory issues flared up again, Jade has an inner ear infection (head tilt), and to top it all off, last night Albert decided he would try to jump onto a plastic container, but being the graceful boy he is - NOT! - he grabbed the edge and fell off. I was worried about his legs, but they seemed to be fine. Then I noticed him bruxing and he kept washing his muzzle over and over so I had a look and his right upper incisor was sticking out compared to his left one. He must have hooked his tooth on the edge when he fell! I pushed on it but it didn't move and he was not happy. So, I soaked some Oxbow for him and today I checked him and the right incisor is gone, broken off below the gum. I'm kind of glad that is gone now and am crossing my fingers that it will regrow.
Anyway, I have a vet appt on Thursday for everyone. I only have Baytril on hand but will be looking for some steroids for Jade and we will probably gas down Albert to have a good look at his mouth. I'll try and get a decent pic then...

Oh my! What a poor baby.
The idea of a critter comically hanging onto a ledge with one tooth before falling off is kind of comical though!

I would worry about his remaining tooth. I wonder if he'll have a hard time bruxing with just one and keeping it trim, and then whether the second one coming in would result in some uneveness and a need to trim them...

Oh, it is hard to have such an abrupt end to a medication honeymoon! Poor sweeties. That tooth sounds like trouble, so I'm glad that you got a vet appointment so soon.

Virtual scritches to all.

When we got our Sebastian (RIP Little man) his teeth were so overgrown he couldn't eat anything but baby food. Before we could get him to the vet he broke both top teeth off below the gum line. We were told it was unlikely he would grow them back, but he did!! Until then though, he had to have the bottoms trims, but it didn't take that long.

Hope your babies feel better soon. Its so nice not to have to give meds. We just went from 2 (med lifers) to having to give out medication to 11....

I had another rat, my beloved Petunia, that had teeth issues and had several tooth trims with anaesthetic. I am really hoping that the tooth grows back in OK. If it does, we might get away with just one or two trims to keep everything even.

Sorry for the delay!
So we had a nice trip in with Jade, Tabitha, Toby and Albert.
Jade's tilt is progressing so we did a shot of Dex and are adding Doxy to her Baytril. To reevaluate Monday and if no improvement will start a short course of oral Dex. The ear drum was visibly bulging. (With the special ear thingy.)
Tabitha's stinky ear has finally started to show (smell) improvement and looks better so we are just continuing with her Baytril Otic for another week. Oh, and I noticed a mammary tumour starting, so she will need surgery soon. It has already increased in size in the few days since its discovery.
Toby's breathing sounds much better so he will be continuing with just the Baytril. I want to keep the Doxy on standby if at all possible so that if he flares up later on, the Doxy will (should) be really effective.
And sweet Albert...between the two of us we managed to pin him down and have a look at his incisors. The right incisor was snapped off just below the gum line. It is visible. Fingers and toes crossed that the root is still alive and the incisor will grow out. He will need close monitoring to ensure the tooth is growing and not abscessing, and to ensure his lower incisors are not overgrowing. I am still soaking his blocks for him, but he did eat a Gerber puff tonight, which bodes well.
Yay ratties!

I am very happy to report that Albert's tooth has grown back in and his teeth look 100% normal!!!
This went from broken off below the gum to normal in 11 days, with no treatment except soaking some food. Wowzers! And I didn't get a single picture because he is such a baby about me looking at his teeth. :giggle:

Back