Agouti trio - in need of some socialization ideas!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update as I haven't been on much and I know Shelagh asked me to keep in touch about how they are doing :)

I recently got a new set of cubes from Astird as I had asked her to make me some that were custom that would be large enough for 3 rats to be comfortable in but also to only have one entrance hole. The cubes work great, they all hop in and I unhook it and take the cube and all the rats out! Not sure if I had updated on that here or not before, but it's working great!

They have a 30 minute playtime same time everyday, I'd do it more than 30 but pretty much daily at the 30 min mark they all hop in the cube and seemingly are giving me the sign its time to go back home. While in the cage they are still super territorial, Tippy & Blue bite and even if I can find Violet (super shy girl still) in the hammock alone I have to be very wary as the other two will come running up and try to protect her (bite me) if I am trying to pet Violet. During playtimes though Blue will come up and sit in my lap and he now lets me physically pick him up and hold him without trying to bite me right off, only during playtime though at no time in the cage can I do this at all. Tippy will also come and climb on me, she especially likes to try to chew on my ankle, not sure what the fascination is with that but she knows better, its like a game to her! She will also let me pet her and touch her if she gets on me, she's not too keen on me picking her up yet. Violet is still super shy and doesn't come to visit but she will come out and run around during playtime and the times when I am able to pick her up she will sit for a minute or two.

I'm amazed it's already October! The agouti's are doing great and seem to be quite happy here :D

They are on the same playtime schedule as the rest of the ratkids in the house (daily) and have their own area (bathroom with door closed) to play in that is ratproof for them and gives me easy access to all three of them during playtimes. At this point bites still happen but they are much less frequent and after a very long learning process I know what body language to look for to avoid the bites. Tippy and Blue both now enjoy being picked up and held (during playtimes), Tippy goes as far as to sit at the cage door and wait for me to open the door so she can jump out onto me for some attention. Violet is still super super shy, doing well though and healthy. All three had an outing to the vet at the end of August just to be sure everyone was doing ok and they got a clean bill of health, along with the fact that none of the humans involved got bit on the trip to the vet!

Patience pays off!

Back