Aggressive wrestling?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicodemusRattus

Over the years I've noticed different "types" of wrestling between my ratties, I know it's a normal part of their lives, but sometimes I wonder when is it too much? how do you tell the difference between "ok" wrestling and "aggressive" wrestling?
I currently have a group of sisters that are around 4 months old and they live in a large cage with my 2 older females Mogwai & Nimzy. One of the young sisters, Natasha, has decided that she's the alpha I guess, every time I hear any loud screeching it always involves her and another rat. She's really aggressive toward Mogwai, who is a 2 yr old dumbo and starting to show her age. She's not the least bit interested in wrestling with Natasha or any of the others for that matter, but Natasha will follow her around and wrestle with her constantly and it always ends with Mogwai screaming bloody murder, and then running and hiding for hours. I also noticed that when I give everyone food/snacks, even though I make sure there is enough for everyone in the cage, Natasha will constantly steal food right out of Mogwai's mouth. I know that rats do their own thing and they have a social hierarchy, but to me it feels like this is more than just being an alpha, I feel like Natasha's just being an outright meanie. So recently I decided to remove her from the cage. I know she misses her mother/sisters, but I can't deal with her constantly attacking other rats. It doesn't seem like the normal "wrestling" I see the other rats doing, whenever Natasha wrestles with someone it gets so loud, it sounds like she's murdering the other rat! But since I took her out, she's acting lonely now, so I'm thinking I might put her into her Aunt Zuki's cage, along with Zuki's 3 daughters.
Do you think that she will mellow out if I introduce her to a new group of rats like Zuki's, I think she became so dominant in her own cage because of her sisters. Maybe with new rats she won't be so dominant? what are your experiences with dominant rats like this? I feel so terrible for taking her away from her sisters but I think it was my only option. I hope I wasn't overreacting, but none of the other rats seem quite this aggressive when they wrestle.

this sounds like an instance where a time out cage may come in handy. I've never used one myself, but I know what it's like to have a super dominant alpha who you always have to wrangle. I wish I knew about time out cages when I still had Harlow. anyway, like I said, I've never used one myself, but instead of separating Natasha from her family, you can take her out when she's bad, and put her into a small cage by herself for about ten minutes to calm down. A travel/vet cage or animal carrier would work well for this. make sure there's nothing in the cage, so she'll get bored and know she's done something wrong. from what i've read, rats seem to catch on after only a few times that the behavior that gets them put into the time out cage is unacceptable, and they simmer down

Ah yes, I've tried the time-out cage thing with her. I've been putting her in there everytime she acts up for the past month or so... she still continues :( The time out cage has nothing in it, no toys or anything, and she certainly doesn't have fun in there. At first the time outs would get her to stop picking on the others for a few days, but now it no longer phases her. Last night when I decided to remove her permanently, I did so because I'd put her in time out for attacking Mogwai. She was in time out for about a half hour... the MINUTE I put her back in her regular cage, she immediately charged after Mogwai and attacked her again!! I'm at wit's end with this rat. I can't keep letting her do this, Mogwai is too old to react quick enough, and has trouble defending herself in these attacks. She was here first and I can't stand the idea of her getting seriously injured in one of these encounters.

She isn't spayed. I never really put thought into it, especially with the vets in my area having minimal knowledge with rats/rodents, they are ok with prescribing antibiotics/minor things, but when it comes to surgeries I've been straight turned away by many of them, since they don't have enough experience with small animals. As a matter of fact, if anyone has any info about good small animal vets in the upstate NY area, or even northern Pennsylvania, I would be so grateful!!!!!!

unfortunatley i'm from long island so i won't be able to help in your vet search, but i sincerely hope you're able to find a good nearby vet, not only for this, but for later on in life if something that only a rat experienced vet knows how to treat.

but by the way, spays also have great health benefits, reducing the chance of mammary tumors that are common in rats :thumbup:

30 minutes in the time out cage is far too long. They should be no more than 10 minutes. Rats recount their last actions and I think after 20 minutes, they don't recount that it was due to the bullying. So shorter is better with rats. But you have to do it every time you catch her in the act.

I was putting her in there for about 10-15 mins everytime I caught her, it just wasn't sinking in with her. She'd go right back to doing it... I put her in there for the half hour the last time, in a desperate attempt to see if she would catch on. Which of course she didn't... I don't know why she insists on bullying the older rats when her sisters are all fine with them. I don't know if rats tend to bully 'weaker' ones, and Mogwai's age is causing her to sort of lose some mobility, but none of the others are bothering her.

I had a rat who did that a female too. She would bully the sick and weak ones. You might need to think about separating her with a couple of buddies. It might be too overwhelming for her with too many rats and a big cage.
I remember once of a rat who was neurotic but became much calmer when the cage was smaller.

Yeah it seems like the only thing that will work, I'm getting a new cage for Natasha and I'll try with keeping only maybe 2 others in with her. She recently left scratch or bite marks on another rats face, they are healed now but I don't think it's a good idea to keep her in a larger group anymore, she was fine as a baby but now she's being too dominant or something

Back