Aggressive "Mom"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chazerei

I have two rats. One is older and larger. The larger one treats the smaller one like a baby. She holds her down aggressively and grooms her and drags her around till she squeaks. Should I be worried?

I have two rats. One is older and larger. The larger one treats the smaller one like a baby. She holds her down aggressively and grooms her and drags her around till she squeaks. Should I be worried?
I have a rat that will do all of that but not drag them..It could just be a show of dominance because babies like to play... A lot.

Pinning and grooming is a show of dominance. All rats will do this at some point. Your smaller one may try and be unsuccessful. As far as dragging them, some do this too, to put stuff (or other rats) where they want it. Sometimes they may even try to grab you and tug you in their cage to play or cuddle. Mackie, my smaller female does this to EVERY rat, human, or cloth that may get close to her cage, or be in her cage. She drags them to her nest to cuddle. Rats are strange, but cute creatures. As long as there's no fur flying, and blood, they're probably fine. The smaller one may squeak in protest, but that's their way of telling each other "OK I've had enough". LOL

Back