aggressive behaviour

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raindrop

We have three sister who have been living together all of their lives in a 695 cage. There has never been a problem with aggression. One of the girls has decided to become aggressive. Her hair is standing up and she manages to put either one of the other two in a submissive position. Her hair is standing up. Is there anything I should be doing.

Ann

How old are they now Ann?
I would check for mites, check for lumps and bumps and also watch her coordination, she might be "off" a little. If she continues, I would take her out of the cage when she's having one of her fits and give her extra cuddles. She's going through something stressful or else she wouldn't take it out on her sisters...

They will be 2 years old on the 4th of March. I let her spend a night in a cage by herself. I know you guys frown on this but I was worried. Tammy has always been a pesty rat but never aggressive before. After spending a night alone I put her back in the cage with her sisters. At first they were distance but I checked at noon and they were cuddled up in the hammock together. I am hoping that tonight will be a better night for Tammy. I checked for mites, lumps and bumps and nothing.

Ann

You certainly know your rats best, if you felt a night away might be what they all needed, then for sure that's the thing to try. It might have given her the space she needed and even make her long for her sisters. Whatever works!
Keep an eye on her for signs of PT like confusion, trouble grasping foods, back end not working as well. She's right at the age for this to start and it can set off a difference in behavior. Hopefully, she just needed some time to herself.

Back