African Soft-Furred Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know someone on the forum but as they're not the same species, a lot of rats would look at it as a threat... or food. That said, apparently they intro really easily with mice!

I would say it's a rare thing if they would get along with rats. There are exceptions but I certainly wouldn't risk it. They are more of a mice type pet.

I wouldn't risk it... but if you really want to try.. you should definitely see how they both react behind bars.
But still.. it is really risky.

DarkBlade said:
What I thought. I think i'll get him a companion of his own specie... if I can find one.... Never shopped for one of these.

ASFs are notoriously nasty, and very often completely unhandleable. They are, more often than not, sold as a food source, so finding one as a pet can be tricky, let alone one you can actually do anything with. But a couple of female mice might be just the ticket, and they pop up for adoption often enough. Since they are different species, you don't need to worry about mixing sexes! If I remember correctly, people have successfully had mixed sex asf/mice colonies. I don't know if male mice would work since they are pretty territorial with other mice and usually need to be kept alone.

Back