Advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some may already know I lost me rat Maggie. She leaves behind her cagemate Cora. I want to get another rat, but I'm still not ready, but at the same time Cora is lonely, even though I make sure to spend as much time with her. Maggie is the second mate she's lost, first was her baby sister Ophelia, now Maggie... Please if anyone has advice tell me. Thank you.

I am very sorry for your loss.
You can spend lots of time with her until you are ready and give her a small stuffed toy (that will be safe if she chews it ie no small beads etc) to cuddle with, but if that isn't enough, you will either need to get 1 or 2 more ratties or rehome her. Cora may die without another rattie friend.

If you plan on getting more rats and you are certain that Maggie did not have anything contagious, then you might start looking for a couple of babies that are being rehomed .... or at a shelter or a rescue. If you get rats from a rescue then they should already be quarantined. Babies over 8 weeks of age can be gradually introed in with you rattie and you would need 2 because babies need another baby to play with. http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

You didn't say where you are located but in many parts of the USA the Seoul virus and the US authorities are requiring that all rats that may have been exposed be killed.
This virus has also been found in rats in Ontario Canada, and is common in the UK. It doesn't hurt rats but may cause a very small % of people to become ill. http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34374

All the best to you and Cora

Last edited:
I am in the US, in NC. Maggie, like most rats, had a respiratory disease. It didn't help that not only was she inbreed, but she was also a lab rat at a cosmetic testing facility. She had no other illnesses. Maggie was humanely pet down at the vet's because she was suffering. Cora has a clean bill of health, thankfully she doesn't have any respiratory issues, but I still have her go to the vet regularly for check ups.
I really want to get another rat or rats, but I'm not ready and going to school so I feel like I won't have enough time to be around Cora and a new rat(s). Especially since I always do a quarantine with my new rats for about a week or two.
Side note: I actually bought two albino rat stuffed animals that look exactly like Mags. One for me and one for Cora (I took off the eye beads so she doesn't chew them off and swallow them). She cuddles with it in her hanging bed as if it's Maggie, I even saw her cleaning it like she did Maggie.
Thanks for everyone

Back