Advice on making the decision to euthanise

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kynes

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get advice from those who have had to make the hard decision to euthanise their pet rat, and to share the experience I'm currently going through.

My female Frida (1.8 years) was diagnosed with heart disease at the start of the month, and she has a build up of fluid on the lungs. I've taken her to the vets a number of times and we've tried an assortment of drugs, but unfortunately the fluid is not shifting and she is losing weight. Although she takes food that is offered to her, she is eating very little of it.

During my last visit to the vets yesterday, I was advised that euthanasia may be the best course of action. This was of course the news I was dreading. I've taken their advice and booked an appointment on Saturday morning.

Even though I know this is what has to be done, I am torn emotionally. Frida has been so loving and affectionate during her illness. She wants to be out of the cage and close to me every chance she gets. Only this morning I went to check on her and she was bruxing and boggling as I was stroking her.

This absolutely breaks my heart, and in many ways it feels like the wrong thing to end her life if she is still present. But I also don't want her to suffer.

If anyone has gone though this experience, or has any advice, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

I'm so sorry to hear about Frida's condition kynes. Sadly, these precious little ones are always destined to become heartbreakers. And the final decision to euthanize is always wrenching, however wise or kind. It should serve as some consolation to know that you gave her the very best life possible. And you can vow to cherish her memory.
These days many vets will provide ceramic paw prints after euthanizing - some offer this service free, some for a price. I find these mementos to offer some comfort. But in the end we must each grieve and cope in our own way.

When my rats reach the end stage of heart or respiratory failure, I take things day by day. If I don't see great distress and still detect quality of life (relishing little treats, enjoying cuddles etc.) I usually wait another day; I figure they deserve every quality day possible, given their short life spans. But with this approach it's crucial to know you can access euthanasia (from a trusted vet) at very short notice, i.e. within hours. If not, booking days ahead may be the kindest option.

As you've tried an array of meds for this condition, I'm guessing you've already tried things like diuretics (e.g. lasix), ACE inhibitors (enalpril) and beta blockers (atenolol). For what it's worth, I've found Pimobendan, a somewhat newer drug, to be especially effective for prolonging life in cases of congestive heart failure. But so much comes down to the specific cause of heart failure - and this can be so hard to pin down in rats.

Hang in there kynes...my heart goes out out to you and Frida.

I'm sorry it's time to let your Frida go. It's painful for you and never feels ok even when you know it's right. We always want just one more day... I've found that often even my most stand-offish ones will become particularly affectionate when they are sick and ready to go, I think they know they're not going to get better and are trusting me to just make them Feel better. Sometimes euthanasia is the only way. Know Frida feels your love, and you're not breaking her trust, you're fulfilling it. I'm sorry. Hugs.

Back