Adopting some new babies tomorrow! So excited! VIDEO ADDED!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlematchstick

So I've decided to add to my crew. I'm down to 3 girls now (one of who now has a tumor--those things are like the plague for my group lately! ..and she also has advancing HEW/HED and chronic resp. issues..so I don't think she has a lot of time left..did I mention she's also about 2.5) So anyway..5 has always been my limit and my Double CN has just been looking empty after having my other 2 girls pass away this year. My hours have picked up at work and I can now put more money aside so I feel comfortable adding to my colony.

My boyfriend who is also a member here,DarkRider2k3, adopted from the same rescue a few weeks back. I've known these ladies at this rescue for several years now- so I'm excited. I've decided I will not be buying from pet stores anymore, just from rescues.

I have picked out 2 girls, they named them Keela and Kerry, not sure if I'll keep those names or not. you can see them here on petfinder:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=PA546

I was told that Keela is incredibly shy and nervous..I'm ok with that though, I had a rat that came out of a rat lab on my college campus who was INCREDIBLY shy and untrusting, but with a lot of love and patience I got her out of her shell eventually, and they preferred she go to a more experienced owner.

And Kerry is just plain ADORABLE! I miss having hoodies, so I'm excited about that!

Anyway..long post..I will absolutely be having pictures to share tomorrow night when I meet them! My boyfriend is coming in from pittsburgh (I live across the border in ohio) tomorrow night and he's staying for the weekend so..yay!

:joy: Congrats - I have 3 boys that are related to your boyfriend's and I assume will be related some how to your girls too as they also came from that house in Michigan.

dspch911 said:
:joy: Congrats - I have 3 boys that are related to your boyfriend's and I assume will be related some how to your girls too as they also came from that house in Michigan.

Yep, these girls are from the Michigan rescue as well.

Finally tried to get some new pics of my girlies, many of them are blurry--as you all know babies never sit still! Boyfriend ended up surprising me with a 3rd baby girl. The night before I had made a joke about how I wish she would adopt in 3's because I had fallen in love with another girl there too. So he surprised me with her. I will have to be more diligent with putting money aside each pay, but I know I'll be fine, just not as much *play* money, but I'm ok with that! Anyway Here are the girls! (any name ideas for the 3rd girl!?) :mrgreen: :dance: :heart:

Cassie

Olivia:

No Name yet:

That was nice of your bf to surprise you with 'no name'. LOL
Pretty girls! I'm sure the third girl will whisper her name to you soon. :)

dspch911 said:
Congrats - the one(s) in the first 4 pics are definitely siblings to my Grumpy/Snickers

that's really cool that my ratties have relatives from other people on the forum!

And there's only 1 rat in the first series of four pictures, she came with the name Cassie, and I liked it so I'm keeping it. She's actually the one that came up to me first.

The 2nd girl (second set of pics), Olivia (original name was Kerry), is also fairly *tame* so to speak..she comes up to me and lets me pick her up.

the 3rd girl, who doesn't have name yet (in the last set of pics-came with the name Keela), is the most fearful- The lady I adopted from (and my boyfriend) said that she was incredibly shy and squirmy..she does NOT like to be held at all, and freezes or runs most of the time if I try and pet her..but we're making baby steps...I found out she LOVES dark chocolate :nod: :nod: So that's how I plan to win her over..lol.

If my boyfriend and I ever get a place together and we combine our colonies (if they all got along) we would have an interesting time telling everyone apart for a while I think..lol.

Grumpy is getting more friendly, Snickers is letting you pet him, but is still not happy with you picking him up, but they have stopped "screaming" when any one comes near them :joy: Peanut, who was also in that group seems to be a loaner. Hopefloats (on forum) has some too, that is where I got my boys from.

Cassidy has decided I'm acceptable to play with..I've had her popcorning several times now. Olivia doesn't popcorn but she comes over to me and does let me pick her up without much fuss, although neither her nor cassidy want to be held for long --but I'm sure its just cause they're babies too. No Name on the other hand, she screams and freaks out if I try and pick her up..but she will come over to me a lot of times in the cage, and I can pet her if I reach towards her slowly. We're making progress every day..so hopefully I can get everyone to accept me.

Intro's are great, and they're living with my other girls already..No Name, and Olivia are chasing my girl Pixie around a lot and starting trouble--but no blood drawn..they're just giving Pixie a run for her money :wink: She use to be *top rat* in the cage..and now she's got some competition..lol. Lots of squeaking and pinning, but everyone was sleeping together this morning so ..Im sure things will calm down more in time.

Joanne said:
Sounds like lots of fun! :D

it's great until its time to sleep...they're running around having a great time..causing chaos...while Im tossing and turning listening to wrestling matches and constant destruction of the cage..I forgot what it's like to have babies..lol..

:gaah: :giggle: :emb:

Here's some video..you can actually see them better..lol:

[BBvideo 450,375:226sd20h]http://youtu.be/KdUHL3MRMyg[/BBvideo:226sd20h]

Grumpy/Snickers can jump higher and further from a standing position then any rat I've ever seen - Do your girls? They are sweet though haven't had any behavior problems with the three. I think they are just skiddish due to their "hoarding" environment. When I first got them they would attack food like they had to fight for it, but they just take their time now. Peanut however, he's a loaner always on a different level of the cage then everyone else.

Back