Adopting an Older Single Male

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinabat

I went down to Toronto Animal Services South yesterday and there was a lone white rat named Rizzo there; I was actually involved in his rescue and was surprised he was still there.

My partner thinks that I was destined to take him in because I assumed they had euthanized the feeders I brought them (long, confidential story).

I'm worried he won't get adopted, but I'll be waiting until after the mega adoption event (ends June 7th) to see if he's still with Animal Services.

My question is: what kind of companion would be best for a lone one year old male and how difficult (ish) would the introduction process be? Toronto Humane Society has some other males who I think were from the same batch of rats, but are a lot younger.

I've never socialized or handled shy rats before so I'm kind of worried that I don't know what I'm doing.

That was just a question to see what you could do. Spayed females would be best likely.
I have introduced several older males to different groups. It kind of depends on him. You may try a young, small group of boys that don't intimidate his usual large territory. Or another older male slowly. Any way you do it prepare for it to take some time.

I have introed older single male rats with others.
Spayed girls are the best

I neuter all my rats so have never had any problems when doing slow gradual intos using the established intro steps
except for one boy who was so frightened pf other rats that he would try to kill them - he was finally introed in with a group of baby rats

Hope he is soon living in a loving home with friends

I too believe that introing the opposite sex is the easier intro. A spayed female or neutering him are options.
My last rescue was a scaredy rat named Toby. I got him neutered so he could join the group of girls and boys. I had hoped that neutering him would also calm his nerves. It didn't seem to make a difference though. He made my other rats jumpy for a while, but now they ignore his over-reactions. It's hard to know if they will calm down or not. All you can do is try, and regardless of success or not, at least he will have a good home with rattie friends and a soft bed. My scaredy rat takes off at the least provocation, but will come right back for a yummy treat! ;)

I agree a spayed female or two would be easiest, or younger 8 week old males. I too have done intros with male to male and I've always been successful. Some take longer but eventually, it works out.

Thanks guys.

If he's still with Animal Services after the event, I'll go pick him up and then adopt and spay a female. They'll still have to be alone while she is recovering and during the introduction process; how long will this have to be? I've never had a rat go through a spay surgery or introed them before.

I would give the female at least a week to recover from surgery, longer if necessary. The cages can be close to each other from the outset so they can get used to each other's scent and sounds.
As far as reproduction goes, they can be together right away. The main concern is that she will have had abdominal surgery so she needs healing time in case they tussle.
See if there is any way he can help choose his future girlfriend. :)

Looks like this boy is gone.. hopefully to a loving home! He is not on their website anymore..

There is a lone black hooded female though, if you're interested in adopting. She's at Pet Valu at College and Augusta. I used to work at this store, but left before the rats arrived... She came in with her sister, another black hooded, however her sister passed away at the store... She is young and needs socializing and a loving home. I wonder if she is from the same group as the other 5 month old females at THS? Their intake dates are similar and the ones at THS were transfers from TAS. If that's the case, I'm sure she'd be happy to be reunited with her sisters, since her other sister that was with her died.

Also, just noting, small animals are not part of the adoption event. Just cats and dogs :)

Actually he's not gone. Toronto Animal Services South is closed for the summer due to the Pan Am Games, so they transferred their animals to other shelters. This one, Rizzo, is at Toronto Humane Society and he's been there for a month.

I just don't know if I can get a female spayed solely to act as his companion. That's a very expensive endeavor... Is it better to leave him alone at the shelter? I'm really torn here.
http://torontohumanesociety.com/adopt-a-pet/small-pets/28012155

Back