"Adopting" a new rat. Need some advice.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaylaB

I have owned a rat before, and had no trouble with him what so ever. He was a happy little chubby cuddle buddy :) When my girlfriend complained of being lonely (College, Work, usually home by herself) and wanting a pet, we began the search. Her father wouldn't allow her to have a cat or dog, I suggested she get a rat. I explained to her that they require just as much attention as a cat or dog and that they need human interaction, especially because she only wanted one. She thought about it for a while, and then decided she wanted one. So we went to the pet store and purchased a fairly young black and white hooded male rat. Not sure on the age at the time, so i don't know how old he is now. At the time he was fairly little, so she purchased a tank with the basic necessities and a wheel. I told her he would grow quickly and she would need to buy a bigger cage soon. Time went by, and Mr. Jingles (the rat) quickly grew into a large rat. I got suspicious and began asking my gf if she was spending the adequate time with him, she admitted that she was very busy and found it hard to give him the attention he needs. She never bought him a bigger cage either, he is in a ten gallon tank with a wire top :( She decided to give him to me because I can give him the attention he needs, and in about two weeks time i will have the funds available to purchase an adequate sized wire cage for him. My worry is socializing with him though. I think he is approaching about 8 months old now (rough estimate) and he has had limited human interaction. He has been fed properly and always has fresh water, but he is weary of people. Once I get a bigger cage for him, I plan on spoiling him with toys and giving him lots of attention. Do you have any advice or tips on how to make the move easier? And should I gradually increase the amount of time I spend with him each day, or should I just interact with him as I would with a well socialized rat? I know this is long, but I really need advice : ( Thank you!!

I know they do better in pairs, but I still live with my parents, and they aren't too thrilled about me having just the one. I may not be able to get another : /

It still blows my mind there are still websites out there that states it's ok to keep one rat if you spend a lot of time with them. That is such a crock. If those sites would get it right in the first place, people wouldn't be misled. But at this point, Mr. Jingles is lucky to have you. At his age, intros could be a long process so you are going to have to be with him a lot... and I mean a lot. I hope you like hoodies so you can place him in there and he can hang out with you all the time. :)
You might want to try the "down the shirt" trick for socializing and getting him to bond with you. This is the preferred method if he has never bitten anyone or nipped anyone. You'll want to put on a t-shirt and a sweatshirt over top and put him in between. Let him hang out there for an hour or two, several times a day. He will soon bond to you and your scent. Also lots of healthy treats, bananas, peas, grapes, apples, cheerios... this will show him that humans means good.

jorats said:
You might want to try the "down the shirt" trick for socializing and getting him to bond with you.

:eek:fftopic: I did this with my girls when I got them no they are dedicated shirt rats. As soon as I take them out they run inot my shirt and fall asleep :giggle: . I don't mind but my friends sure do.

Anyways, It's good to hear that he will be getting a good cage but I'm sad to hear he won't be getting a buddy.

If your family is resistant to getting a second rat, you could point out the entirely true fact that taking care of one/having only one is no less work/cost/smell/whatever their issue is with having two. In fact, its less work to have two, because they keep each other company and are less likely to get sick from emotional depression, and you don't need to have them out for companionship 8 hours a day(which is still not a replacement for a rat friend- we don't speak their language or frequency). A big enough cage to be healthy for one rat(4 cubic feet minimum) is a big enough cage for two(although bigger is better). It's true that if they both get sick close together, your vet bills will be higher, but the additional cost of lab block for a second rat is negligible compared to the health benefit of him not living alone. There's a great video about why rats shouldn't live alone around here somewhere, but I can't find it currently. Anyone know where it is?

Hope you get him soon.
Glad you found this forum .... look around for good up-to-date info on everything to do with rat care.
For example: you need a powder coated cage that is at least 4 cubic feet in size with a base of at least 30 inches by 18 inches and height for climbing.

Here is a video I like which shows why you need at least 2 rats:

[youtube:3ttcweti]cDy3bMRuobE&feature=related[/youtube:3ttcweti]

There are established gradual steps for introducing rats to make sure everyone is safe as adult rats are territorial.

Looking forward to lots of pictures :)

Glad your going to be taking care of him and getting him a proper big cage! It would be so great if you could get him a buddy ..since you cannot spend 24/7 with him ..you cannot groom him like another rat grooms or vs versa ..you can't sleep in his cage and be with him on lonely nights! But at least he has you for now ..try convincing your parents 2 is better than one! (the video above shows it all)!

Back