Adia's poor toe...The day after surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Sweet tiny Adia, my leftover hoodie from a rescue/rehome last year, decided to not be smart. My rats have learned to stay away from Moth and her teeth. I have her cage up high for this reason. Well Adia decided to crawl across Mothra's cage.

I found her last night with a almost completely amputated hind toe. :( She's been given metacam and baytril to prevent infection and I am hearing back from my new 2nd vet to see if he can fit in her toe amputation today.

She's remarkably bright and alert, but that toe has to come off, I cannot take a chance at infection, etc. I have been through this with Dr. Munn once before and once the toe is removed they are much much happier.

My vet is calling me back after 2 pm today to let me know if we can do the surgery tonight.

Aww poor girl...Ok time to scold her cage mates for not teaching this sweet girl the ropes of the joint! Like you said everyone else knows to stay away from Moth...Shame on them for not warning sweet Adia...Or was it that sweet Adia had a mind of her own and was gonna go anyway! : )

Poor sweetie!! My sympathies are with her. It must be very painful indeed.

Tell Adia that Melissa sends her best (In her youth she was the victim of Edith's teeth and her toe is permanently crooked)

Is he going to take the toe off tonight or just look at her and see what he thinks?

Hope the visit goes well either way, give Adia kisses for me and tell Miss Mothra to behave herself!!

mamarat2 said:
Is he going to take the toe off tonight or just look at her and see what he thinks?

Hope the visit goes well either way, give Adia kisses for me and tell Miss Mothra to behave herself!!

I should think he'll amputate the toe tonight. Moth is 29 months old and still a menace. :roll:

Kisses for all from you!

We're home. Adia's not thrilled, but hopefully the metacam should kick in soon. I was sitting in the waiting room. listening to everything, my mind going over every complication our minds can conjure up, when our babies are having surgery, when he walks back into the room with my girl awake in his hands and doing the anesthetic twitch...their eyes are soo not there and they do an odd twitch while they are coming out. She's in her hammie right now, had her metacam, and her foot looks pretty good. No before pic but here's your after...

AdiaaftertoeampAug7.jpg

There was almost no blood, and now I know why. The toe was only attached by the bone and the artery, which hadn't been severed. :shock:
I have already been through this before with Zuri last year and can give you before and after pics of hers for interest's sake.

PoorZurisbittentoe.jpg

Zurisamputatedtoe.jpg

*whew*...and after all that, Adia's bill was only $97.00 and that was including a $30.00 full bottle of metacam! :bounce:

What a relief that it all went well! Moth sure did a number on poor Adia if she needed an amputation. Melissa's toe was pretty awful but it healed, albeit crookedly.

And Zuri's toe! :holysheep: Was that another Moth job?

Kisses and banana mash to Adia from Melissa and all of us. :grouphug:

Yes, this new vet is a keeper!!

I looked for Adia when I woke up and couldn't find her. She was in a different hammock so she obviously was climbing around. Her toe stub looks good today, the swelling is going down nicely.

Here she is saying "Good Morning! Thank you for all your good wishes!"

Adiadayaftertoeamp.jpg

Good Morning Adia! I'm sorry to hear you got hurt. I'm glad you're getting all better, sweetie! Have a good day but take it easy. :hugs:

Adia looks like my last man-rat Alfred!

Back