Adia May be Next...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Tiny sweet leftover 31 month old girl. Sister to strangely Jekyll and Hyde sister Asha, but absolutely nothing like her. Of course she is the one who develops the awkward tumour. :roll: Its not growing but its attached right by her right front leg, if not attached to it, so it makes life awkward for her with grooming, etc. :( I can tell she really hates it. But I pick her up and give her daily scratches and rub those ears (her hind foot twitches like a dog) and she's okay. Until today. Today I found her on her side unable to get up from the litter box but still trying to eat a lab block :sad-p:

I pull her out and realize that her right hind foot is clubbing a lot and she will fall over at times....awwww. :(

I gave her her scritches and rubbings, and some baby cereal to eat and then a dose of baytril and dex to see if the clubbing is neurological. If she doesn't respond well I will have to start thinking and watching to see if she is enjoying life any longer. Poor little gal. :(

Adia2apr29.jpg

Adiashindrightclubbed2apr29.jpg

Adiashindrightclubbedapr29.jpg

Adiaapr29.jpg

Awwww poor little sweet face Adia :(

Scritches for her & hugs to you Shelagh. :wallbang: :gaah: Why do they have to have these problems?????????????????

mamarat said:
Aww Shelagh, poor sweet girl. :heart: This is Jevy's sister?

Yes :(

But on a good note, Crazy Asha is doing well! Her coat is a bit rougher and she's a bit more flatfooted and not quite as agile, but she is fine other than her weird mental issues :roll:
Not a sneeze, no porph, no tumours etc

Jevy is going in today for a tumor removal. He's healthy, like Asha, he was my "hit man" when Sam was alive. It's really scary at that age. I'm already shaking.

If Asha had a tumour I would take her in with no qualms. Thankfully she doesn't so I can breathe a bit longer after Bear yesterday LOL.

Your vet is awesome, Jevy is healthy, it will all be fine!

Your vet does the surgeries in the morning?

Well he's there. Most rat surgeries are done in the morning unless they have an emergency. They told me to call around noon. Nicole's little girl Sunny is there too for a spay. Double whammo today. lol

I am so sorry Adia is not doing well. I sure hope the dex works and gives her a little more time with you. That tumor is in a bad spot, right in her path of grooming, poor girly. Sending good vibes to you and her and keep us updated.

Adia is breaking my heart. :sad-p: She responded only a little to the dex/baytril combo..feet not as clubbed, a bit more agile, but not wonderful. I am very sad to say that her cagemates are not caring for her at all. They all go "upstairs" at night/during the day and she is left all by herself on the bottom. Most times I find her in the litter box trying to eat lab blocks and cool to the touch. I heard her scrabbling around in there at 3 am this morning, so pulled her out to cuddle her and get her warmer. Sometimes she drags herself into the low hammock, but she is very weak in her muscle tone now, so I sometimes have to put her in there myself.

I am really hoping to get one of those cages in Brampton to make a safer retirement home. I will probably put Shadow and Adia in there together, and possibly Saffi if she allows it.

I am syringe feeding Adia Ensure morning and night now, along with Shadow at night just to make sure she's getting enough nutrients and fluids. Shadow still "runs" on her wheel on her good days so she's not as desperate LOL.

Oh Shelagh... Adia's sweet face in that last picture looks like she is getting ready to close her eyes on this world and go off to where she can run again.
I'm sorry none of her cagebuddies are nursingly inclined. It's a blessing for them to have that but when they are near the end I think comfort is more important to them than companionship. And you can give her that.
I've found (as I believe many of us have) that many if not most of them - even my most stand-offish kids - tend to seek me out and and want to spend time with me before they go. They seem want mom more than their siblings at the end.
So you have all that Adia most wants now - lots of sleep & softtalk & cuddles & bad-for-the-figure-&-teeth-treats. You're able to give her what she needs & wants most now just as you always have been.

aww its so hard when they get like that. :sad-p: Has she lost alot of weight? she looks very skinny in the pictures. What is her eating like? Does she show any interest in food?

Give your special girl love for me :heart: hopefully you can get that cage soon so she'll be more comfortable. Its so sad that her cagemates aren't paying attention to her. Shes part of the hoard right?

I wonder if the hagan cage would be a suitable temporary retirement home?

Back