accidental ingestion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarunia

hey everybody!
so i know i haven't been round in a while (school&personal illness), but i have a question that begs an answer. rather, i'm worried 'bout the boys.
today i was working pretty hard on a translation while the boys were scurrying around the apt. i was "in my zone" and somehow didn't hear them knock my medicine box. i just got them all back together in the cage (as i could see all three of the boys), and noticed that there was a chewed magnesium pill on my bed and my pill case was missing. it seems that somebody had just knocked it off of my night stand, but the day's pills had gotten knocked out and there was a bit chewed out of each of them (depakote, multi vitamin and the magnesium).
although i've heard that rats have iron stomachs and, ashamedly, i'm sure that they've gotten into worse around the apt, i've never seen them chew medicine. i feel pretty sh*tty bout this, as i always make sure that my case is closed so that they don't get into it.... :/ i tried looking online for some help, but to no avail. any suggestions??
thanks!!
--s

they were pill-pills.... boy #3 looks alright this morning; i'm bout to go cage exploring to get the other two and see how they're doing!
--s

yea id call a vet and ask. If they were capsules, then the rats might have just ate the geletine outside, but if they were actual pills then they have probably injested some (even if a tiny amount) if theyve chewed them

They actually seem to be alright... I'm at work now and will be at home in a few hours. When I woke up this morning they were sleeping, but I made sure they were OK and held each of them, so I'm assuming they're fine. What they would have eaten would have probably been a pretty minuscule, but I just wanted to be sure! I love my boys' curiosity, but I fear because I know that sometimes it just happens to get the better of them (ya'll know what I mean!!).
thanks guys :bow:
--s

ps-- i'm going to post an update of slava and sashka and also so pics of my newbie later on today.

I would think that you would see any adverse effects pretty quickly, since they are rats.

Hopefully none pop up and your boys stay healthy and happy.

they're doing just fine!! well, except we're travelling presently so they're all cooped up in a small cage 'till tomorrow evening :/ they are happy to be with me, but really dislike the lack of attention. c'est la vie!
thanks again, guys!!
--s

Back