abscess

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The abscess is behind the hind leg. Is the second abscess that Lily has had. The first one, on the chest, was operated on a couple of months ago. We were meant to get rid of this second abscess on Saturday but Lily was not looking great and so instead of operating on her the vet tried an injection of Amikin which he said sometimes works. Lily tonight is looking really down and she is showing all symptoms of neurological problems. Very worrying :(

ratswentberserk said:
The abscess is behind the hind leg. Is the second abscess that Lily has had. The first one, on the chest, was operated on a couple of months ago. We were meant to get rid of this second abscess on Saturday but Lily was not looking great and so instead of operating on her the vet tried an injection of Amikin which he said sometimes works. Lily tonight is looking really down and she is showing all symptoms of neurological problems. Very worrying :(

Its definitely an abscess not a tumour?

For everyone curious here's what I googled on Amikin

The active ingredient in AMIKIN is amikacin sulphate. AMIKIN is available in two strengths: amikacin sulphate equivalent to amikacin activity 100mg in 2ml or amikacin sulphate equivalent to amikacin activity 500mg in 2ml. Amikacin is an antibiotic and a member of the family of medicines called aminoglycosides.

The other ingredients are: sodium bisulphite, sodium citrate, sulphuric acid and water for injection.

AMIKIN is for the treatment of serious infections caused by bacteria which require an antibiotic injection.

and this :( Was your rat on any other meds? Was she renally impaired, dehydrated etc?
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fd ... pe=display

Can you give us a bit of a history on your rat and a bit on your vet as well? Things like age, any previous problems, what your vet has treated your rats for, etc?

She had the injection on Saturday morning, i.e yesterday.
Lily should be 24 months (nobody knows her exact age, she's been rescued).
Lily is a grey hooded.
She is not a happy girl tonight. We don't know wether to risk an operation tomorrow to get rid of that abscess....

I think the injection may be what did it to her. Lets hope its a temporary thing, but I wouldn't try to remove that abscess tomorrow until she's in top shape again. I have only had one abscess removed and it was one that kept recurring and the capsule needed to come out. It actually ended up being a abscessed tumour that was removed from his cheek. The other abscesses I treated at home.

Thank you for the link. That's very scary :(

Lily had two operations so far this year. The first operation was to remove a tumour (she was spayed at the same time). It all went well and she recovered super fast.

The second operation was to get rid of an abscess.

We are sure that this is also an abscess as the vet took the pus out a couple of weeks ago and we put her on antibiotics (baytril). The abscess came back and that's when we booked her in for an operation. Lily was not looking to good on Saturday, i.e. before the injection, and that's why we didn't go ahead with the operation.

Should we start giving her steroids (prednisone) in case is deg desease/brain tumour? Or would this be too much?

At her age, it could very well be a pituitary tumour or some kind of neurological event.
You could start the pred... could you ring the vet and see what he recommends?

It's nearly 11pm over here so we will need to wait tomorrow morning to make an appointment with the vet.....

Thank you for your help and advice, we're just very worried right now and can't think properly

ratswentberserk said:
It's nearly 11pm over here so we will need to wait tomorrow morning to make an appointment with the vet.....

Thank you for your help and advice, we're just very worried right now and can't think properly

And that is what ratfriends are for. While you are actually enduring the scary emergency, they stay calm and do your researching for you. :D

lilspaz68 said:
And that is what ratfriends are for. While you are actually enduring the scary emergency, they stay calm and do your researching for you. :D
Amen!!
I send hugs to your Lily and will say prayers for her, I hope it is just a temporary reaction to meds that is causing her actions and not a further problem.

Back