Abscess Under Eye? - PHOTOS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odoriusagi

During intros, Mimo got scratched by Cass under his eye during a boxing match a couple of days ago. It bled a little and scabbed up, but this morning, the area under and forward of his eye (cheek?) where the scratches are is swollen noticeably. It doesn't look bad, just more bulbous than usual under the scratch site.

What are you guys' thoughts about this? Is this 90% caused by the scratches and will end up resolving on its own, or does swelling in this area indicate other problems?

He is super happy, eats well, poops in his litter (!!!) and on baytril and doxy post-neuter.

I worry that has nothing to do with a scratch. Scratches don't often cause abscesses, my concern is that it's coming from the jaw. I would say book an appointment with the vet BUT wait until Shelagh sees this post. I'm not 100% sure if the placement is right for a Zymbal's gland tumour (I don't think so), if it is, you don't want the vet to fuss with it at all.

You can try doing warm saline compresses on it to see if it will come to a head. (In case it is an abscess caused by an injury.) Is he still getting Metacam? Can he eat ok?

I don't see ZGT (placement is wrong) but if the lump is closer to under his eye than lower down on his jaw it could be a bite abscess. I would def start warm/hot damp compresses.

He is fine, eating a lot, no pain when I press on the lump. He's not on metacam anymore, no - it's been two weeks since the surgery. The scratches under his eye might be bites - there are two just on top of the lump that are all scabbed over.

Looks like an abscess to me as well and not a tumour. Not a salivary gland issue either, too high up for that. I'd do warm compresses as well.

Back