Abscess on my rat's neck

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBa

A few months ago one of my rats formed an abscess on his neck but it fell off naturally after a couple of weeks probably because of the antibiotics we gave him.

Now my other rat has I think an abscess on his neck. I have been giving him the left over antibiotics or a few days but it is turning black and he is grooming it. He hasn't changed his behavior e.g. eating and moving around fine. But I don't know whether to take him to the vets or carry on giving him medicine and maybe wiping the area with pure water?

Why is it turning black?
What should I do?

If it is an abscess, then it will develop a black spot/area
Please post pictures.

I assume the antibiotics have not expired. The amount given is based on the weight of the rat, the strength of the medication and the type of medication so I hope you were able to make the proper calculations.

Please read this information http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/abscess.php

I am pretty sure it is an abscess as it popped up very quickly overnight and it is black with red around. I will try to post photos but right now unable to.
So since it is most likely an abscess it will probably rupture naturally. The black spot seems like a good sign. Meanwhile I will keep their cage as clean as possible and wipe the area. I don't know if the bay trail still needs to be given or if I should do a warm compress.
Thank You so much for the info that website helped a lot:)

You are welcome.
That website is a vet approved medical site for rat owners so it is an important resource imo

All the best to both of you
Please let us know how it goes

Thank goodness it was an abscess. Ruptured yesterday so I am currently wiping it down with a sterile saline solution. Bodger is happy now;)

Back