About 6 months Ratless - to adopt or not GAH ??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattus

HELLO EVERYONE! Its been a long time! some of you may remember me, others not so much lol. Its been SO LONG since I've had rats.. I guess not overly cause it hasnt been a year but still.. I havent gone without rats in 3 years! lol with the passing of 5 rats all within months it was a little overwelming and I needed to heal. Lately I've been missing rats so badly its almost overwelming.. I feel so empty sometimes.

I am considering adopting 3 rats from Chelles Critter Haven :D But Im on the border. Mainly because my anxiety gets the best of my thoughts. We do have a vet that treats small animals here but she only once a week! now for 3 years we did own rats here and they always managed to get their appointments but still! sometimes its nerve wrecking. The next closest small animal vet is about 2 hours away.. unless there might be one in renfrew.. which is about a 40 -30 minute drive I'll have to see if there is one(this isnt an animal friendly area, Im far from the city so not many hospitals :/)

what do you guys think!? The little buggers just freak me out when they want to scare me and all get sick at once LOL

I recently went through the same kind of issue and took some time away from rats. Now me and hubby have talked about it and decided a home isn't a home without a rat? haha... Guess what I'm trying to say is I hope that you are able to make the right decision for you, and maybe if you aren't sure yet you should give it some more time. You posting here makes me think you've been doing a lot of very serious considering lately though, but I think you need to be 100% sure before committing to any animal. Good luck!

It really is a concern when you don't have access to a good vet at all times. Would another vet be at the very least able to prescribe medications? Like you mentioned, you did quite well with your other little ones. It's a hard call and only one you can make.

I was a year without ratties and it drove me :panic: Lol i finally got some Christmas time :dance: :dance:

If you did it well with your others with the vet and such i think you should be good and like Jo said maybe the other vets around could at least help with meds(always good to print out info for them to understand what your talking about too ;) )

Goodluck

I say if you did it before you can do it again! But its hard if you dont have the security of knowing a vet is avaliable like the others said, so ya its your call at the end of the day.

(Warning, this story is very sad, dont read if you have high emotions!)

I was about 19yrs old when my recent rat died, I had him for 2yrs and his death was very dramatic, and unforseen, and overall happened way too fast. I went on vacation for one week and had a brother in law watch him for me. He was at the peek of health too and very happy when I left him. I come home...and he's struggling to breath, laying on his side, it was so painful to see...I picked him up and rushed him to my step father. The vets were closed and it was Sunday night, to be expected, but even if we got him to a vet it wouldn't have mattered. My step dad tried everything to help his breathing, he even did mouth to snout! *holds back tears* But after about 10mins of rubbing his back gently to comfort him, and him dropping out once and coming back...he finally gave in. My step dad did mouth to snout once more, but it was in vain. That night I told myself I couldn't deal with this kind of loss anymore, and decided not to have rats or any small animal. But 6yrs later and I want to try again, I miss the companionship rats provide :) and even though my loss was tragic, I still remember the good times, and hope to make more of those.

If there's any advice given out of my personal story, it would be to remember the good times from having former rats and if you did it before you can do it again, but always do your best to be prepared, vets included

yes Ive been doing ALOT of thinking lol for a long time now. I think Im going to wait just a few more months and get a big vet fund saved up. and I just found out that in cobden(20 minutes from my house) there is a vet there that does small animals. my friend has a ferret and she said they are good, she also had gotten her ferret neutered there and it went great. The small animal vet that comes here is very good but shes only in on wednesday(she come from another animal hospital) Im not a fan of the regular vets... they arent known to be overly careing :/ so I dont even think they would prescribe meds, I remember asking once I think. To be honest I dont like them at all. Only the Female vet that comes in to deal with the small animals is friendly lol shes extremely careing and loves the rats so its so crappy shes only here once! And I also think POSSIBLY within the year my boyfriend will be getting a car from his work and so then trips to the cobden vet would beeasy! 20 minutes isnt long at all! SOOO I think we are going to wait and pray he does get that car lol.

I just HATE not having rats but I want them to come to a save home so I must wait! GAH lol I dont know if any of you will believe me but about a month ago I got overly depressed randomly and started missing the rats so bad Id randomly cry.. I started seeing shadows of rats running around the house! I STARTED CRYING OF HAPPINESS! I seen it multiple times over the course of 4 days. I THINK THE GHOSTS OF MY FUZZIES CAME BACK TO SEE ME!! I've been able to hear stuff and see odd things since I was little, its the first time Ive seen the spirits of animals! They satisfied my longing to know if they were still around, it put me at peace, I think they knew that!!!!! Honestly it was amazing.. full on apparitions of shadow rats running around and circling my boyfriends feet! They would come and fanish within seconds.

Back