Abcsess gone wrong - the saga comes to an end

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry Tara. It's so hard to make that decision but I'm afraid it's even harder to watch them be so uncomfortable :(

Aww, poor little Gumby. He's been such a brave little boy. :cuddle:

You fought the good fight. It's going to be tough to say goodbye but he'll thank you for it from his spot in Rattie Heaven.... :(

I just got back from my clinic. My vet looked at him and gave him a homeopathic remedy to help him until tomorrow. We don't do surgeries at our clinic so we do not have any iso gas. We will be getting some tomorrow from another clinic and we will say goodbye to Gumby tomorrow morning.

I will see if i can get him to, at least, drink a little today and maybe eat something as well. We will do some cuddling if he is up to it.

So on Monday morning we said good bye to dear little Gumby. The euthanasia went really well. I know there is a post going on about the best methods so i will describe how my vet did it.

We used Iso gas to sedate him. How to deliver the iso gas seems different from vet to vet. My vet did it a really clever way: We used a syringe case: the larger syringes come in big plastic cases. One size is a perfect fit over a rats face. We filled the case with cotton and padded the edge so it would be soft on his face. Then we poured the iso gas (in liquid form) into the case.

Gumby did struggle a little bit with the case on his face, they don't like the smell. But it did not take long to sedate him. Then my vet gave him an injection of euthnol into his side.

My vet also did a postmortem because she was very curious about the abscess and how it started. So we opened up his face - it was pretty gross, but Gumby didn't mind any more - he was already playing at the Bridge.

The abscess had filled the whole side of his face with hard pus. There was no way we could have flushed it all out - it was so deep. She removed probably a jawbreaker sized amount of hard pus from his face.

My vet thinks it either originated as a tooth abscess, because the hole connected to a back top molar. Or, an inner ear infection because the hold also connected there. She also suspects it could have been a tumor because it was so invasive.

Back