Abcess: Yet More 1/11/10

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I know that sometimes neutering is a must with some male rats for aggression reasons, but with all these posts I'm seeing about [recurring] abscesses caused by neutering, I don't see how it's worth it otherwise :scratch:

I hope he gets better, poor guy is having a rough time! He's lucky to have you taking care of everything.

I've had tons of rats neutered and not one abscess. I just don't get it either why so many rats have neuter abscesses.

That poor Rhys... he just can't catch a break. :(

Jo - tons of neuters and not one abscess... And we've only had one neuter and it had TWO. =/ Do you insist on an antibiotic post neuter? Because all our vet gave us post surgery was 3 days of metacam, and we're pondering insisting on it next time - is that what you do?

We use an antibiotic after every surgery. There's not only the abscess concern, but also infection.

I've had tons of neuters done and not one abscess. My rats are sent home, no antibiotics, not even Metacam. Most are back with their buddies the same day they come home after a few hours in the hospital cage.

pscychopomp said:
So I know that sometimes neutering is a must with some male rats for aggression reasons, but with all these posts I'm seeing about [recurring] abscesses caused by neutering, I don't see how it's worth it otherwise :scratch:

I hope he gets better, poor guy is having a rough time! He's lucky to have you taking care of everything.

In this case I think it is just my boy. He is very very prone to abcesses, when he had his eye removed he got an abcess there as well. Hairless are not as robust as their furred counterparts. I had 5 of my boys neutered at the same time, Rhys was the only one who developed issues. Also I am pretty sure in his case these are hematomas not abcesses, well the lower bump was an abcess....Neutering is definately worth it, just maybe Rhys should not have been neutered..

MomRat said:
Jo - tons of neuters and not one abscess... And we've only had one neuter and it had TWO. =/ Do you insist on an antibiotic post neuter? Because all our vet gave us post surgery was 3 days of metacam, and we're pondering insisting on it next time - is that what you do?

Mamarat uses the same vet as I do.
No antibiotics here, not even metacam although, we do have metacam on hand in case we need it. But not once did I have to use it.
I asked my vet once why she thinks there are so many neuter abscesses with other rats. She told me it's in the technique. There is a lot of tissue and fat when you cut into the scrotum. Most vets will "throw" that away but she doesn't she cleans it really well and puts it all back in. That could be the reason.

My vet also leaves the fat pads, the less fiddling inside, the less tissue trauma and the faster the healing. He has changed his method to an incision at the end of the testicle now and of the last 4 not one neuter abscess (the incision used to be in the middle of the testes and probably pressed right into urine, etc when they lay there).

Back