AAAAAAAAAh advice needed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callie<3

Ok so two weeks ago going on 3 weeks tommrow i left my rat callie with a friend who had other rats i had checked them all before and they where all females
i had to go on a business trip to newyork so i figured callie would enjoy having some friends to play with. Well durning that time my friend got another rat while i was away that she thought was a girl but appearntly was a boy and he got her other rat prego and i think callie is prego to :gaah: she started pulling things into her bed and if we try to go near it she makes a squeek sound i gusse u can say she started having a little belly as well. If shes outside the nest she is fine most days she kisses us but today she tried to bite me which she has never ever done before.......and i noticed that she has a small round belly which she never had before......If she is by chance prego is there any advice other then kill my friend who was dumb in the first place . Iv never had a pregent rat or a female rat at that other then callie and Im worried for my poor baby girl. :gaah: im sooo totally stressing over this is there anything i can do to keep her happy :wallbang: what are the signs i should expect for this if she is pregent i think the ones she has done so far might be indications that she is......dare i say the word Prego......

She'll become noticeable at MOST a week before she's ready to pop, and she'll look like she swallowed a gofl ball.
Making a nest is a good sign she's pregnant, and just the fact that she was with a male, you can bet on it.
The biting is her being defensive, so i'd say she's definatley preggo.
Can you post any pictures of her?

i can try and get some photos of her if she will let me touch her ill try in a little while
and like lil angel pointed out callie is a hairless girl and im very worried

The health concerns with hairless moms only really apply to true hairless, which Callie is not. She is a double rex girl.

If she is in fact pregnant you want to bed her down on fabric that doesn't have threads (ie fleece) or papertowel. She needs her diet supplemented with extra protein, like meat, cooked eggs, ensure, etc.

lilangel said:
all i know is hairless have problems lactating and sometimes problems giving birth.

That applies to true hairless, which are extremely rare. But yes, that's true. Callie should not have those problems if she is pregnant, though.

she is my little angel when shes not moving her self around she has a round belly when she stretches something shes done adleast 5 times in the last hour. she also seems to like to bit which she had never done before. Callie has no hair on her at all what do u mean shes a double rex??? her mom and dad iv seen both of them and neither one of them have hair either.

As a rule of thumb, having a rattie 'get together' with someone elses rats is not a really good idea. They could seem perfectly healthy and yours as well, but things can be passed on that could be potentially deadly. This is also the reason why it's good to quarentine and such before introing new rats.

With that said, what's done is done. If you have the money an espay is always an option. They are of course more expensive then regular spays and sometimes finding a vet who does them could be tricky.

If you have a scale weigh her at the same time every day and keep track of her weight. Monitor her progress. That will give you a good indication.

What food are you feeding her? What is the protein content and fat content. If it's low you will want to supplement her food with cooked eggs and such to hep her along.

for protien right now i have drops and i feed her eggs as extra i feed her a lab diet. she only got to play with those female rats as they had been to the vet at the same time as callie . the male i knew nothing about till about 2 days ago when she found out it was a male

What a cutie. I had a scare with Nez when I first got her. She had been housed with a boy (at the pet store) and I was convinced she was preggers. However day 24 passed and no bubs so I was lucky. Just because she was exposed to a boy does not necessarily means she's preggers, however nest building is a pretty good sign. I would let her be, give her the extra protein as previous posts have mentioned, and prepare a nest cage (is she currenlty housed with other rats?) If she is pregnant it will become quite obvious before she is about to give birth....big belly, protruding nipples. Move her when you are sure, and give her soft bedding...Bounty paper towels are the best, a hidey hole like an igloo and keep her surroundings quiet. She'll know what to do....rats are awesome Mom's.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh poop! Well as others have referred to, you know hairless (and perhaps double rex too???) should have more protein (and fat?) than regular ratties. Avocados are in season! :D
It just stymies me how boy ratties can masquerade as girls so often when male rats are so prodigiously male?

i dunno its just a big bag of stuff my friend gets me from the states theres nothing written on it
no shes not houses with any other rats and she is getting a rounder belly and i can see little nipples

You should try finding better food then; if nothing is written on it how do you know the expire date?

I know out here it is hard to find good blocks but i buy mine at richie feed and seed but its a 50lbs bag :? kind of big for you lol but its the only kind i find ok for them other then the pet store food.(i do sell 10lbs bag for $10 on my website)

The only other way is ordering good food on line.

im going to ask my friend what kind it is because she has the origanial bag it comes in but iv been giving her eggs and lots of veggies. im gonna go to ritch feed and seed this week sometime thanks for the help in finding the food

Back