A Very Frustrating Vet Appointment, For Nothing.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinderwolf

Okay so as you may know, I found a lump of worms from my girl ( which I wiped off my hand in a panic , a move I regret now). So I made an appointment for Saturday morning. Then Saturday comes around and I go downstairs ready to leave when my mom tells me that they had called yesterday and said " so the rat vet doesn't work on Saturday so I dunno why you have an appointment but you have to move it to Monday. " basically. So I had to cancel my SPCA shift to take them in tonight.

So we head to the vet. I didn't bring a fecal sample because I could find nothing fresh and was sure they would fear poop in the carrier. Upon arriving, the vet assistant weighed them .. 750 for quinten, 650 for dante and 290 for roxy.

He asked for a fecal sample but of course the little farts didn't poop ONCE during the trip. So no sample... The rat expert examined them briefly, lectured me about how all three are obese ( yes even little tiny roxy at less then 300 grams) . Then he felt around Roxy's small tumor and told em they both need removing. When I told him, no she is too old he was like " no no 2 is not old getting tumors removed is how 2 year old rats become 3 year old rats. " So I humored him , I mean whatever. I definitely want Dante's lump taken off so I got an estimate.

Then we waited. and waited for the rats to poop. And in the end only the boys went! So of course the stupid fecal exam was negative so we left the vet with nothing but a 100 bill and a " better luck next time" Nevermind that I actually saw the worms.. So now I literally have to get some fresh stool from Roxy and take it in for a fecal exam then hope to god it shows that there are in fact worms.. otherwise this goes untreated.

So this was all a waste of time, and it is really frustrating since I know she has the worms, and I know what I need to treat them but I cant because they wont believe me.

I swear if this vet wasnt the only rat vet in town I wouldn't go, I have had lots of troubles with them and I feel they are only out for money ( another reason I believe he wants to take roxy's tumor out). They are also not very kind and are kind of rude in fact.

I just wish our cat vet had a rat expert because they are all wonderful.

Oh well I guess I get to go search for poop for days and hope for worms so I can get the stupid ivermectin to treat it. Tilt hen I twiddle my thumbs.

I am surprised your vet didn't even consider making her poo. You can usually feel it in their rectum and can gently squeeze one out. Another thing would have been to have him carry her out of the room as it surely would scare her into going.

That does sound very frustrating, I'm sorry.

RattusNorvegicus said:
I am surprised your vet didn't even consider making her poo. You can usually feel it in their rectum and can gently squeeze one out. Another thing would have been to have him carry her out of the room as it surely would scare her into going.

That does sound very frustrating, I'm sorry.

Yes I really thoguht he woudl tryt o make her go... I myself tried palpatating her stomach and also rubbign her anus to tryt o stimulate it but nothing.. but yea that was in th ewaiting room the vet didnt do anything liek that at all...

Back