A tumor for SweetPea :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 2 of recovery is going well. He seems much more comfortable and social today. My fiance has been on rat watch duty all day as he worked from home, and he reported no picking at the incision. SweetPea is eating pellets today and I think he has been drinking water too (he didn't do that yesterday). The incision looks good and clean. I bought SweetPea a big, luxurious ferret fleece bed in honor of his surgery. He is happily digging at it, and I think it will be a more comfortable place for him to sleep than his cardboard box. We left him unattended for a few hours when we went to fetch Gusto from the hospital, and came home to find him eating even more.

So tonight I think I will sleep on the couch again since it is Gusto's first night at home. I am still cautiously optimistic. At what point are we "out of the woods" as far as post-op complications?

Well, out-of-the-woods:
Once the incision has healed for about 5 days, I wouldn't be too worried about it coming open even if the sutures came out.
As far as infection goes, I guess about the same. If there is no sign of infection (redness, heat, swelling, pain) after about 5 days, you're pretty safe.
As long as they are eating and drinking normally, and the surgerized area looks OK, I wouldn't worry. If they 'all of a sudden' start to get 'bitey' or cranky when they weren't before, that could be a sign of pain/ill health.

OK, thanks for the tips. It is day 3 of SweetPea's recovery and he is even more active, and eating/drinking more. There were a few droppings that were darker than normal, but he was on applesauce and a diet of all veggies at the hospital. The vet also said that it may take a few days for everything to get back to normal. No diarrhea or anything. He is climbing and is friendly as always. :)

there is a slight redness above the incision, but no noticeable swelling/discharge. Could this be bruising from such a large incision? He will let me touch the area no problem so I am not concerned that it is an infection....I am super paranoid about that. I also think that maybe right after surgery he was pale and his normal color has returned...but this is my first rat surgery so it could be a useless theory.

I spent last night on the couch next to the cage again and checked on him every 3 hours, with no instances of picking at the wound. I have seen him try and scratch with his hind leg, but again no damage to the incision. :) he is such a good boy!

A little bit of redness is normal. And if they are going to have any swelling or bruising from the surgery (NOT related to infection), it is usually the worst the second day afterwards, ie: if the surgery was on Wednesday, the swelling will peak on Friday. If, for example, swelling came up on Monday (5 days later), then it is likely an infection, and not related to normal inflammation.
If he's eating and playing normally, then I wouldn't be too worried...
:)

It is day 10 of post-op recovery for SweetPea. He has resumed full (if not above normal) activity level and his incision is healing well. I am confident now putting him back in the big cage so he can have his ramps and wheel back. His incision was so large that I kept him in the hospital cage so far, didn't want to risk any accidental injuries. He looks so skinny now, I don't think I realized how big the tumor had gotten. I am glad that it was removed. He seems to have alot more energy and a MUCH larger appetite to show for it. :joy: He has been off of Meloxicam for about 4 days and show no sign of trouble. Go SweetPea! I am hoping for 2 more years with my little ratfriend!

Thanks everyone!

I tried to post a pic, but image hosting is not working...

SweetPea is back home in the big cage, and is still doing well. YAY! The incision disappears a little more everyday, and his fur is growing back handsomely as ever!

When SweetPea came home from surgery:

Back