a question for you.....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good question. I have wireless in my home too but when you think about it, it's the same with cordless phones and microwave ovens as well as cell phones.
It's something you can't escape, not anymore.

We didn't start using a wireless connection as of yet and I was just wondering how bad it is as I heard from some people who use it that it makes them feel sick. I was wondering what effect it would have on a tiny body...

I have wireless in my house and have never noticed anything. I don't think wireless would cause problems, and at least eliminates the use for long cords, which the rats could chew on.

I've had a wireless network for a couple of years now, no effects yet. I've had a microwave oven and cordless phones since I'm married (18 years). I've had my cell phone for over 5 years and I'm still good.

My ratties are in pretty good health, my Bijou died at 41 months and I still have Loki at 40 months, I have 9 at 29 months so I don't think it has affected them.
But I can definitely understand your concern.

Manufacturers of pest control products have come out with a frequency device in the last few years that deters rats and mice from the area the device is. It would irritate their hearing and probably cause them to feel sick. I have heard that it is very effective in rodent control.
I am not sure what type of frequency a wireless connection uses, but I would not eliminate the chances that it could affect any mice or rats within a certain distance of it. I have never heard of anyone reporting having a problem with a wireless connection and their rodents, though.
I think that there would be no question of it bothering your rats after it was set up and going, you would see a clear change in their behaviour. I don't know if you want to try it out, chancing that you might have to replace it, if you don't find a rat owner who can give you the go ahead with it.
Sorry that I couldn't be more help, hopefully you will find a rat owner with a wireless connection.

I believe they are on the 2.4 GHz, same as the cordless phones that's why they sometimes conflict with the wireless networks and I had to switch my phones to 5.8 GHz

ok, it should be safe. I think we are going to keep the router in a different room and connect to it from the room where the ratties are.
I'm a very paranoid ratty mummy :wink:

Back