A hike up The Crack ...in Killarney

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Hubby Scott, sister Nic, my son Mat and I decided to take a hike out in Killarney provincial park. We've been wanting to do it for quite some time but this is actually the first nice weekend we've had all summer. So we packed up our gear and our platypuses. (water containers) It was a 4 hour hike up a very steep mountain crack, I believe it's 300 meters up. The view up there is absolutely stunning. I got some great shots and I'm sharing them. :D

Me and hubby at the beginning of the hike, still all smiles, no sweating or stinking yet. lol

Hike03600.jpg

Hike61600.jpg

On top of a small range where we had our picnic, Mat and Nic, she looks very tiny next to him.

Hike16600.jpg

HikeMat3600.jpg

Hike20600.jpg

Climbing the Crack

HikeMat4600.jpg

HikeMat7600.jpg

Taking a break

HikeMat8600.jpg

Finally there, the view is breath taking...

Hike38600.jpg

Hike41600.jpg

Hike45600.jpg

This is back down... Mat and Nic, we were getting tired at this point but Nic and Mat were way ahead of us.

Hike59600.jpg

On the way home, we stopped to help a guy that drove his truck into the ditch/forest... he had to swerve to not hit a bear. But there wasn't much we could do. He needed a tow truck.
All in all, it was a great day despite my cold. :D

jorats said:

That photo is amazing! *wolf whistle* (as are all the others, i just love the composition and lighting.... lol!)

You live in a very beautiful country. That guy had to swerve to not hit a bear! WTH?! thats something you will never hear anyone say here lol
How far do you live from there?

lol... we live 110 kms from that provincial park but we always have bears around here. Last year, one was hanging around our cars.

:shock: you dont know how bizarre that sounds to me lol. The most we have hanging around is maybe a fox, or a hedgehog lol, and still thats very rare

No! LOL Not around here. We have deer and deer and more deer, that's about it. I suppose we have coyotes and for some reason we're getting more and more mountain lions. But no BEARS!

Great pics :D it was a wonderful weekend for that. We went camping in Killarney a few years ago but forgot the tent so we had to sleep in the car but it's so pretty there, we went into town and got fish and chips, the fish were fresh caught. Looks like you had fun :)

chicky82 said:
Great pics :D it was a wonderful weekend for that. We went camping in Killarney a few years ago but forgot the tent so we had to sleep in the car but it's so pretty there, we went into town and got fish and chips, the fish were fresh caught. Looks like you had fun :)

You forgot your tent?! How do you forget a tent? :giggle:

Tarah said:
chicky82 said:

You forgot your tent?! How do you forget a tent? :giggle:

yeah, we forgot it but only because we grabbed what we thought was a sleeping tent and it turned out to be a dining tent :doh: sleeping in a 2 door plymouth laser is not something I would recommend :lol:
yup jorats, it was that fish place by the docks, so good :D

Wow that looks great, I make you a deal Jo. When I come to visit Canada you can take me there and then you can come and visit me in New Zealand and I will take you here, ok?

:D

lol you would be most welcomed too. Only be warned we don't have all the varieties of rats in NZ that you have over there :)

Back