A Cage for the Cottage - Found!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime654

So my search for a cottage cage continues, and not with much luck so far. Heres my criteria:
  • Cheap, since it will only be used for when I spend more then the weeked up at the cottage. Used would probably fine![/*:m:2v4fw8te]
  • Large enough to house 4 / 5 man rats, but small enough or collapsable to be put away when im not around (its a family cottage that gets used alot)[/*:m:2v4fw8te]
  • Easy to clean, ill probably just be pulling out the cage to the deck and hosing it down[/*:m:2v4fw8te]

I stopped by the pet store yesterday and this is what they had in stock :

Living World Rat Resort Starter Kit
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/sma ... 8500010101

Heres a picture from someone who has the cage on Goosemoose:
June1320083.jpg

From a Kijiji Ad, I got the following measurements:
Height- 2ft Width- 2ft Depth 15 1/2 inch.

But the rat calculator tells me thats its even too small for ONE rat!! Im trying to house 4 maybe 5 :(

Its also $120!! For an an extra 50 bucks I could buy a new FN 141 instead! Or hold out for a used FN142 for a few dollars more! Although, I don't want to inconvience others with a giant FN.

Anyone have this cage? any opinons?

I have to agree with you on that one. The price makes it a bit of a rip off. The size isn't that bad because they won't be in it for that long, but then again you do have 4 ratties...I don't know, I think I personally would hold out for a better deal.

Marshall Folding Mini Mansion - 37"L x 24.5"W x 32"H - $177.95

fc271.jpg

NO Tools, Clips, or other Hardware Required for Set-up
• Folds Up Flat for Storage and Transportation
• Lockable Slide-Out Pan for Safety and Easy Cleaning
• Two 1/2” Square Metal Wire Mesh Balconies the width of the cage x 13-3/4” deep and Two Wire Metal Adjustable Ramps
• Features Swivel Casters for Mobility
• A Front Flip-Down Door 13-1/2” wide x 16-1/2” long for Easy Access
• Powder Coated Black Will Suit Any Decor
• Convenient Full Top Door Opening Allowing Complete Access to Your Pet and Accessories in the Cage.

Anyone have one of the Marshal's folding mansions? I'm particularly concerned about the wire spacing which I haven't been able to determine, but looks rather wide from the photo. It's also alot more expensive then I was hoping for a cottage cage, but the ability to fold flat is a really attractive.

try looking for a folding canary flight cage. Thats what we use as our main cage. It doesn't have all the shelfs like small animal cages do but thats part of the fun getting to change all the fleese ramps every week.

How much time do you spend at the cottage? If only the weekends then would it be horrible to have them just slightly cramped or do you want them to have plenty of room?Jorats had 3 cages for sale you might want to pm her as she may have exactly what you need.

3lilgirlrats said:
How much time do you spend at the cottage? If only the weekends then would it be horrible to have them just slightly cramped or do you want them to have plenty of room?J

It really depends ... I'm trying to swing 4 day weekends for the summer, most of which would be spent up there. But I'll definitely be spending a few extended weeks (Fri + Weekend + Full Week + Weekend + Mon = 11 days) several times over the summer, on at least 3 separate occasions.

There's no AC up there, so with a small cage on top of that, I'm worried they would just be too uncomfortable. With spring on us now, maybe ill get lucky with some garage sales.

7195gl0_20.jpeg

I believe this is a Midwest cat / ferret playpen. I'm not sure on the bar spacing, but anyone know if this would be suitable for 4 large rats? Couldnt find the bar spacing listed on the midwest page :(

That cage should work very well. henrys_mum has that very same cage and she told me it can hold 12 rats so your little group would be very happy in it.

That's huge cage, certainly big enough for 4, but it only has those little tiny shelves, and there's lots of empty, dangerous space. Some home made levels would be perfect, though.

Again, you are looking at 1" spacing. Pretty much any time they say ferret you are looking at 1".

yup i've got that one, and cage calculator says up to 12 ratties, but larger boys i'd say 9 max!
They LOVE it! and it's not too hard to clean. For BIG cleans I take it right off the base and hose it down in the shower. It stands about 4 feet tall, it's a GREAT cage, I LOVE mine.
The bar spacing is about an inch, so not for the teeny ones, unless you mesh.

I think this cage would be awesome! and it all folds up and fits into the base for storage!
NICE! :thumbup:

EDIT to add~ homemade shelves were easy to do in this cage. I got more shelves with mine, BUT I did add some of the panels from the Neat Idea Cubes, and just zip tied them in, covered them with fleece, a,nd VOILA!
here i'll add a pic too

and for only $80, which compared to other New cages is quite a bargin (IMO).

Think I will have to spend some more money on making some shelves though. I think I'd like to spit the cage vertically with a piece or plexi / acrylite much like how a FN 142 is. I'll have to wait until I get it home to see if thats possible. If not, Ill got with the cube level idea that henry's_mum mentioned and several hammocks.

Wow Lyndsy, the cage looks awesome! :thumbup:

I'm sure your boys will love it Prime! It's a VERY big cage. Although it comes with only two shelves you can buy additional shelves for it. You should be able to get them either directly from Midwest or if you're lucky you can get it from a pet store that sells Midwest products. Back when I had that cage I found a wire rack in an old fridge that fit it nicely also.

I picked up the cage today, this thing is HUGE!!!!

Its comparable, if not bigger to an FN 142! I definitely wasn't expecting that! And for only $80, i think I scored big time.

Gonna get mom to make some hammocks and such this weekend and look into getting a thick piece of acrylite cut to make level at the midpoint.

Back