7! Brother Rats in Ottawa - Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to post a quick update on sick boy and his skinny brother.

I don't understand this in a way. I mean, when rats get hurt, or injured, they usually bounce back SOOO incredibly quick. I don't know if this is normal, but I feel like Sick boy hardly improves at all some days. He still only eats a TINY bit. He still doesn't move much. He STILL looks half bald. The only thing that is noticeably better is his breathing. He's still breathing really hard, but it's no longer the whole body GASPING that it used to be. I've never had to nurse such a sick rat back to health before, so I don't know if this is at all normal.

Day 4 pictures:

Peeking out:

Apollo06.jpg

Peeking out... with Arktos:

AA02.jpg

Oh... getting sleepy...

Apollo05.jpg

Totally zonked out (with Arktos!)

AA03.jpg

On a completely different note... ratmondo and I have been discussing the issue of NAMES for DAYS now (while I'm at work... LOL). And we've decided FINALLY on names for my two boys, and narrowed it down to a few names for the others:

Sick Boy = Apollo (Patron god of the sun and healing apparently!)
Skinny boy = Arktos (night sky and constellations)

We would like big agouti boy to be named "Odin". But that's still up in the air for discuss.

The other names we liked (for the 4 other boys) were:

Loke
Mani (LOVE this one)
Attis
Galene (female name... but...)
Vadir
Bragi

I think there's one more I'm missing. It was in my work email.

But what do people think?

RKbusy said:
On a completely different note... ratmondo and I have been discussing the issue of NAMES for DAYS now (while I'm at work... LOL). And we've decided FINALLY on names for my two boys, and narrowed it down to a few names for the others:

Sick Boy = Apollo (Patron god of the sun and healing apparently!)
Skinny boy = Arktos (night sky and constellations)

We would like big agouti boy to be named "Odin". But that's still up in the air for discuss.

The other names we liked (for the 4 other boys) were:

Loke
Mani (LOVE this one)
Attis
Galene (female name... but...)
Vadir
Bragi

I think there's one more I'm missing. It was in my work email.

But what do people think?

I love Attis, Loke, and Mani. All of those names are awesome though. Odin sounds so regal.

Love getting the updates on Apollo and Arktos :heart: :heart: . I wish Apollo would be rebounding faster, but he was in really bad shape and it might take longer to see improvements. Maybe someone who has experience with really sick rats will comment. Poor sweetie pie, he does look rough, doesn't he. :sad3: Give him a wee kiss on his head from me.

The other 5 boys are doing better bit by bit, exploring more, enjoying their hammocks, food, attention. They are all in love with Cool Whip mixed with their meds. The Agouti, "Odin", came out and inspected Toni (foster mom) and grabbed her necklace and tried to pull it and her into the cage. :D Toni said he LOVES his food and is always like, "Whatcha got? Whatcha got?" when anyone comes in the room. She is home all day with them, which is wonderful!

I'm glad to hear the other five boys are doing well. I wish Apollo would bouce back faster. Maybe he's old as well as sick. Can you be *sure* of his age? He just looks so tired :(

WHOA. It's not the first time a thread here has made me cry...but seriously?

I can't even say what I'm thinking without indecent language.

The improvement in such a short time is amazing.

What is WRONG with people that they can't see that that rat is obviously very ill?

I visited Toni and the boys today. :joy: They are doing much better, but Odin is still sneezing too much for my liking, so we're going to up the meds a little for him. They're enjoying their nice clean, big home, all of the attention. I saw a little bit of scratching, but hard to say if it was grooming or itchy scratchy. We'll keep an eye on that. These boys are soooooo sweet and gentle, just love them to bits.
Here are a few pics, (not of all of them) It was midday so they were not wanting to come out and smile for the camera :D
Odin
Odin.jpg

Mani (aka Curious George) He has the squinty eyes so he's easier to identify from his brothers.
curiousgeorge.jpg

Loke and Mani
twobros.jpg

Loke
CG2.jpg

Glad to hear the boys are doing well. Hopefully with their sweet personalities they will score a great forever home.

ETA: How are Apollo and Arktos?

I don't think RKBusy has the heart to post what happened a couple of weeks ago, so I'll post the sad news. Apollo, the sickest boy, died. He seemed to be doing a little better and he was eating, but he just didn't gain weight or move around much. With that infestation of lice and how thin he was, he may have had his internal organs affected. We're so very sad that he didn't pull through. This was a result of neglect on the part of his past owner. He did not have to die from lice and starvation. She did not seek vet care of rehome her rats in time, and I will NEVER forgive her for this. The vet was really no help and said that the lice were still there, but RKBusy didn't think so and neither do I. I'm sorry to tell you all the sad news. :sad3: :sad3:

The other six brothers are all well, thriving, in love with RKBusy who has given them a wonderful new life. She says they are the sweetest boys, cuddly, mushy, affectionate. Thanks everyone for all of your supportive and compassionate posts. :heart: Maybe RKBusy will post some pics of the brothers soon.

Back