7! Brother Rats in Ottawa - Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKbusy

This is continued from: HERE

We just got back from the woman's place a few hours ago.

The cage they were in was DISGUSTING. Literally, it was the worst I had ever seen, although ratmondo said she had seen worse. The shelves were literally slathered with dried urine and feces. The pine they were in was half black with poop pellets. The entire thing really really reeked.

I picked up the sickest boy, and my hand was immediately caked with a thick layer of filth. I rubbed them under water and it was slimy. THAT'S how gross it was. While Anita was occupying this woman getting the bathtub ready to clean one of the cages, I did manage to snap some pictures. GAH. :sick2:

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

So basically, this girl was 5 months pregnant when she first "rescued" these rats (there were originally 7). She apparently took them to the vet a long time ago when they had a "cold" and this vet at Bell's Corners apparently told her, 'they would get better on their own, just keep their cage clean'.

From what I can tell, they all have some mild URI's, no audible sounds (except from the sickest one), and apart from being LICE INFECTED, and filthy as all hell, they were OK. There were a few sneezes, but nothing that would have made us panic. Every single one of them has scabs all of their bodies. There's ONE agouti boy, and he's DEFINITELY the worst, when it comes to the scabs. His entire back and sides are dotted with them. 2 of the black boys, both have bare spots on their backs, where it looks like there may have been a large open scab, but it had recently healed over. One of the black boys was completely skin and bones, did not move, was so thinly furred and breathing so laboriously, that I just knew he wouldn't make it if we didn't take him. there were two other black boys who seemed alright, although the skinner black boy did seem to be breathing a little faster than the rest.

In the end, we left her with clear instructions and 4 rats in a bare, but now CLEAN cage. They have all been treated with Revolution and I have the sickest boy, as well as the skinny, fast-breathing boy here with me at home.

I took a quick picture, but didn't want to disturb sick-boy:
IMG_0448.jpg

What REALLY pissed us off about this woman (who really, was more like... a GIRL... she was probably in her early 20s at most!) was how she kept on SAYING things like "I'm vegan!", "I'm TOTALLY against breeding!", "people need to stop being idiots and realize that they can rescue any pet they could ever want!", and "I really love my pets, and I do my best with them."

And THIS is how HER so-called beloved pets were living! I mean. Okay. This girl didn't even have NAMES for these boys! And they've been with her at least a year! She said she got them when she was 5 months pregnant, and now her baby is 8 months old. -__- I F*cking HATE hypocrites like her. And she wasn't apologetic, didn't seen guilty, didn't even OFFER to help us clean the cages. She was surfing the net the whole time.

And then this poor, nameless boy, whom I'm really not sure if he will make it. Dr. Mobarak is apparently away and can't see me. If he survives this weekend, I will be taking him in on Monday. But for now, he's getting Baytril + Doxy + Revolution + lots and lots of baby food and nourishment.

He's surprisingly scab free, but I'm guessing part of it also has to do with the fact that his nails were SOOO LONG that they actually were curling under his feet. -__-

GAH. I SERIOUSLY HATE THIS GIRL!!! What a B*tCH. And you know, she was telling us that she had no money to get vet care, yet she had salon died hair (<$100), an entire RACK of fancy looking shoes, and one of her cats had been specially groomed to look like a lion. -__- Right. So you can go and afford to dye your hair, and give you cat a fancy haircut, but you can't aford to see a VET?! GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay. Well. For now, the sick boy and his skinny brother are sleeping. Poor sick boy ate all his medicated baby-food. We'll have to just keep an eye on him until Monday.

OMG this is SO sad! :sad3: How absolutely fre*kin' horrible!

Whether skinny boy and sick boy make it or not... .and I hope they will.... at least now they have a chance.

I think it would be good to dignify them with names.. Do you agree? Suggestions?

Just wanted to add that we do have a foster home for the four boys! A woman and her husband, who used to have rats and have taken in and nursed baby squirrels, etc, said they would take the four boys (RKBusy will keep the two for now to help them recover) on Monday morning. She can administer antibiotics and she knows how to take care of them, so we're very relieved. :joy:

After about 3 to 4 weeks, we'll need to find a permanent home for them, so please spread the word. They are lovely, sweet, easy going boys...and while I was drying them after their baths, one closed his eyes as I stroked him and was almost asleep, and another bruxed and boggled for me. They are very forgiving of the misfortunes they've endured, and the horrible discomfort they must feel from their lice infested bodies. :sad3: :sad3: I also hate the girl who had them...there is no excuse, it is animal abuse, plain and simple. If you don't have money for vet visits and know about proper care, don't have pets. Moron. :rant:

Poor sweet boys. I feel so sorry for the life they've had with that witch of a hypocrite. I'm glad they are out of that hell hole and in good hands. THANK YOU for getting them safe.

I'm so glad you got those two boys out, and are getting the other four out Monday. Without you guys, this little man wouldn't have a chance. He'll get to sleep in a clean bed tonight with a full belly, no matter what happens tomorrow. I hope he makes it! Great job! :thumbup:

Sick boy is on his second dish of Baby food :) Yay!

And I think he's a little less panicked looking. He's been sleeping, so that's good.

Second dose of baytril+doxy in 1 hour!!

He DEFINITELY needs an epic name!
They all do!

RKbusy said:
Sick boy is on his second dish of Baby food :) Yay!

And I think he's a little less panicked looking. He's been sleeping, so that's good.

Second dose of baytril+doxy in 1 hour!!

They all do!
YAY!! I'm so glad he's eating more! :joy: Is he drinking at all? I was thinking that if he's not using the water bottle, he might need some electrolyte fluids by syringe to get him rehydrated? He sounds like he's holding his own though! :heart:

Joanne said:
RKbusy said:
They all do!
Hmmm, themes?
How about Greek gods?
I like this idea!! There are actually seven rats, not six, she had not posted the sick one in case it died. :sad3: So, off the top of my head (I did a Greek Mythology course in uni many moons ago) there's Zeus, Poseidon, Mercury, Apollo, (now I think I'm mixing in Roman names for the same Greek gods, but never mind) Eros, :heart:, Jupiter...let's not do Prometheus as he ended up being tortured, and Atlas did too. Need more names...

At the very least, sick boy needs a name. JUST in case something happens. He needs a name!

I LOVE the Greek/Roman names theme. :) I like Hermes. I've sort of been calling him Ozzy in my head though >.< I have no idea where that came from. Probably just from watching too much Survivor! LOL. Anyway.

Pictures from tonight.

Although he still looks HORRIBLE, I think there's definitely a new spark in his eye. And he was MUCH more aware of me and my camera. Unlike day one, when he was almost completely unresponsive and just sat hunched over.

He even managed to polish off 2 lab blocks! :) And then I helped him drink by squeezing the bottle just the tiniest bit.
He also had 8 mls of Ensure last night, and then 3 mls after I got home, and then another 3 mls right before I'm about to go to bed.

Doing a little exploring:
Odin04.jpg

Odin02.jpg

Odin03.jpg

Checking out the 'world below!' while his brother makes a funny face:

IMG_0458.jpg

And here's a better picture of his companion/brother. This guys LOOOVES his food. He's a little nippy, broke skin on my finger once, but after I eeeeped really loud, he hasn't broken skin since. :)

IMG_0455.jpg

Please keep these poor boys in your thoughts. Especially sick boy. :heart:

Sick boy is so sweet and he does look better, you can see it in his eyes, thanks so much RKBusy for nursing this lovely guy and taking his brother to keep him company! :hugs: I'm glad Brother is learning not to nip hard. Sending healing thoughts to both :heart: :heart:

Last night I was at Toni's house, the foster for the other 5 brothers. We set up the cage, put the top half of one on top of the other and added ramps, hammocks, floor tiles, voila, quite a nice set up and a huge improvement on before (plus it's clean)! It was dark since I was there at 9:00 pm, and the lighting in their study is poor, so I only got a few pics. The boys were all hiding in the igloo, only one or two were out exploring. I didn't want to pull them out from their cozy pile just to get pics, I tried moving the igloo over to get to them, but they all scurried back under it, very cute. I'll be going back again to bring meds (they are sneezing a lot and don't sound good :( ), so I'll try to get better pics of each boy then. They are still scratching a bit too. Not sure if they'll need a second dose of Rev yet.

I hope Toni is up for the challenge of keeping the cage super clean, giving them their meds 2x a day, giving them lots of out time. She seems way more excited than her husband and daughter. Their 11 year old daughter seemed kind of excited and wanted to hold them...they're used to female rats and these are twice the size! She wants to name them and has come up with Wally so far for the agouti, but since they won't be there for that long, never mind, we can continue with our Greek god names. Here are the pics, better ones coming soon.
Cage set up
newcageforboys.jpg

The brave explorer
oneboy.jpg

The brave explorer and Agouti boy's butt
twoboys.jpg

'Hermes' is looking great! He does have a little spark in his eye. I hope that is enough to get him through this crisis and back on the road to health. The boys are going to love their new, CLEAN home! It just smells so strange (because they can actually smell things now!) - they'll have to get up their nerve to start exploring.

He has the prettiest, most grateful, happy face I have ever seen! WOO! GO RATSHACK, WE RUUUULLLLLLEEEEEEEE!

And nevermind the girl, she was just some spoiled kid. She probably just recently moved out, and isn't used to the responsibility of anything. I hope her poor child will be OK. The important thing is that these ratter-tat-tatters are safe and happy now. Thank you so much guys!!!

Update: Toni, the foster mom for the five boys, met me at Dr. Liston's yesterday, and she brought along one boy. "Curious George" (named by their daughter) has a wee bit of breathing and sniffling and clucking, but not too bad. We told Doc that Agouti Boy is much worse, but we didn't want to bring him and stress him out more. So, we have baytril/doxy for all 5 boys, and he only charged me for the meds, not the consultation. :D He knows they are rescues. He did look at his bald spot and checked his fur, and he thinks the Revolution has worked, but Toni tells me they're still scratching. I want to give them all one more dose of Rev...how long should I wait after the first dose?

When I visit soon, I hope to get good pics of all of them!

ratmando said:
He did look at his bald spot and checked his fur, and he thinks the Revolution has worked, but Toni tells me they're still scratching. I want to give them all one more dose of Rev...how long should I wait after the first dose?
I know when I brought my kittens home, they were crawling with fleas for about 3 or 4 days before the fleas were all gone, so mayby it takes several days before all the buggies are dead and gone.
I seem to recall 2 weeks as a minimum time, but the Revolution is supposed to be good for 4 weeks, and if they're compromised, then it may be better to wait the full 4 weeks before treating again. Clean out the cage really well as there may be some critters in the bedding - might help a bit...
Glad they all have meds!

Back