5-story 'Rat Mansion' from Coast Cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Does anyone know anything about the 5-story 'Rat Mansion' from Coast Cages ?
A possible adopter is getting this cage and I thought I had heard that there might be problems with this cage.
thanks.

The only problem may be the wheel because it can be easy to get tails stuck inbetween it and the side of the cage. I didn't like my two story one, and there are not a lot of ways to decorate it but there are no other dangers with it that I know of.

I had also heard of a baby rat that was killed when his head was lodged between the wheel and another baby started to run the wheel. But I thought that the company were going to address this issue. If not, just take out the wheel.
I hope they don't plan on keeping too many rats in that cage. The base of those cages are very small... 16" x 19".

I looked at one in person at a pet store when I was visiting in the USA.

Not something I would purchase myself as a long term cage, after having better cages... but it is definitely more than suitable as a first cage for a pair of rats! The floor bar spacing isn't ideal, but isn't terrible. As long as they have some hammocks, boxes, etc. to get off of the floor when they want to it should be okay to leave uncovered.

I debated picking one up as a cage to keep new rats in, actually.

I have this cage and there are three girls in mine. We have taken out the wheel because of the stories I have heard about rats getting their heads caught. I absolutly LOVE this cage and there is more than enough room for my three girls. The pan is really deep and the bar spacing is really small so there is no problems there. Food bowls are removable and the plastic on the base pan is really easy to clean. I just put the whole thing into the shower.

I was trying to look it up on the net but I couldn't find the one I have. I would have to measure but I know my base size is larger then that Jo.

The reason why I bought this one is that although martins cages are really good they would have been too expensive for me at the time. Also I would have to modify a ferret nation. One day I will own another type of cage and possibly love it more then this one but for now I am very happy.

Oh yeah, we did move the one ramp on the bottom over to the next level ramp because the wheel took up so much room it took up most of that half floor. But now having young rats we have taken that bottom ramp up out as it's a very small climb for them (2inches) and gives more room for them to play at the bottom.

The cage calculators put the max # of rats at 3, my issue with the cage has always been that the levels are so small, they only add a small amount of floor space.

I agree with that, the levels on the second, third and fifth are very small. That's why I would only want three in there and my girls are small.

I had this cage, and I never had any problems with the wheels.

The max it can hold is 3 though..and that's at 1.5 per rat intead of the 2.

I liked it when I had just my 2 girls, but it was a pain to decorate, but just get creative.

I house my males in this cage and I've only had two main problems with the cage itself. The wheel gets dirty really easily, so I had to place and clip folded paper towels to keep the wheel from getting filthy.
I also had to stop using the food dishes because my rats would dirty those up too, so I had to use a spare and place it at the top floor.

Other than that, it's a nice cage.

Back