4 Month Old Biting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennedyRena

I wanted a dumbo rat and was given one on Valentine's Day as a gift. My mother held him before she decided to get him and had no problems. I went to lift him out of the box she transported him in and before I could even get him out he bit me two times. I thought they were warning bites at first but then I realized he was fully breaking the skin. I thought maybe I smelled like my cats or dog so I washed my hands and bandaged the bites because they wouldn't stop bleeding. I then partially put my other hand in the box for him to smell and once again he bit me. To try to show how hard the bites were, I now have scar tissue and nerve damage where he bit me. I only interact with him with gloves on and at first he would bite them but in a more curious way. The person my mom adopted him from bought him right after he was weaned and never socialized with him so she decided to sell him. I'm afraid to handle him now and I'm not sure if this is aggression or something that can be fixed. If anyone has any advice they would be willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the under-socializing definitely has alot to do with it. I have rescued extremely frightened rats from time to time, but i've only ever had two that reacted with biting, not necessarily because they were terrified, they just didn't feel like being picked up, they thought it was a bad thing.
It's true, a male could have agression issues that would most likely be fixed by neutering. However, i think it mostly just comes down to trust. As with my two, it just took some time and patience. Let him settle down and get used to the new smells for a few days, but then you really should take him out every day for him to get used to you and realize you're not going to hurt him.
I found that if i 'scooped' them up with two hands on either side, they didn't bite. It does sound like you are trying though, so good for you! Even if you have to use the gloves for now. Just don't give up on him!
One way i find really helps them get used to me and my scent, is putting them in a hoody i'm wearing while i do things like watch tv, go on the computer or talk on the phone. They love burrowing and cuddling! Also, we have a couch with a big comforter on it and little boxes and houses and tunnels, and i sit on it with them. It's exciting to see how little by little, they open up and go from hiding behind your back to climbing on you! With the couch 'method', you can pick him up often and put him back down and he can get used to nothing bad happening to him.
By the way, is he in with other rats? He might be needing company. My new-commers always seem to open up when they see how comfortable my other rats are around me.
Anyway, best of luck and don't give up! He's just young and he will open up and learn to love you and WANT to come out in your arms. I've had older rats come such a long way. It's such a treat to watch them grow and come out of their shell! It's so worth it!

Does he have any buddies? He's at the age where he's maturing and could also become extremely fearful with changes. Buddies are so important to rats to maintain a healthy social life and it also promotes a healthy wellbeing.
For now, I would say interact with him only when handing him treats and by talking to him gently. Be around I'm a lot, lots of talking, singing and treats. He may soon enough come around and start to want to be with you too.

Back