4 moms & babies - for adoption- gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Found this ad on the internet (kijiji Halifax) :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for homes for some baby rats...I also have 3 male rats that I am looking for homes for...if you are a snake lover...yes you can have the 3 males for feeders...please e-mail me if you are interested! These guys do make great pets!!!

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-pets-to-give ... dZ47301015

Emailed about the 3 boys and the babies ...
hopefully will soon have more news ...
but at 26 ratties, I just can't squeeze anymore in, esp. since I think 2 I adoped out last year are going to be returned ...

Woman just emailed me. Ratties still available ...

I wonder if this is the same litter as the other ad?
Not the same email address ...
So Dahlas, looks like here may be 2 litters needing rescue in your area ... :sad3:

Got an email back.
They breed rats for pets and for feeders :sad3: tho they prefer they go as pets :doh:
.... which doesn't make sense as they are posted in the free section.
Anyway she has 3 litters. :sad3:

Gah, if we could only get snake owners to take a little effort to institute dead-feed d like to see that and have been looking into it but it's turned into a huge thing about the active life of every separate med as our kids usually have some recent meds in them.. And what could affect the snake and what not?
I know nobody wants to hurt any creature.

I don't like the idea of my kid's bodies going that way but they're already gone.
How could my kid's body benefit anything in this world now like they did alive in my life? How could I honor them better than give them an opportunity to save the life of a healthy rattie who shouldn't be sacrificed as food when my kid & I might have gone thru hoops together to try to save it's life? What better honor than to have their dead body save a life and avoid a terrifying & painful death of one of their own live kind just looking to live - hopefully like the life my kid should have continued?

(If anyone is good at research and organizing facts could you help find out what bodies are safe for food and what not? I'm not real adept at this and have trouble staying on-focus, but I think having the info could be a good prelude to maybe reaching out to some snake-owners and maybe saving lives locally small-scale, maybe leading to a site where snake & rat owners could connect.) No doubt some rattie lives would be saved and horrible (physically & emotionally) deaths averted. Even one would be worth it.

So she is breeding them on purpose!!!!! That doesn't sound like someone who needs help...maybe a good kick in the ..........
Did you try and explain to her how many rats there already are looking for homes?

My January came from a place that bought her from a place here that breeds pets and snakefood. Their snake wouldn't eat her so she went back on the internet as pet or snakefood.
How do they decide what's pet & what's food?????
I've never seen a kid that enjoys living as much as this one!
I don't think food breeders give a rat-a-tat about the rescuers overburdens. Whatever sells and makes them a lousy $5.. :redhot:
(I hate to think about what befalls what doesn't sell.)

I got another email.
She had an agreement with the pet store, but the store changed its mind.
So she is not going to breed anymore
but she has 6 babies and 3 boys to give away
Plus two more litters that will be ready to leave mom in the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Sent her the link to this site.

So ..... these babies need help!!

Anyone???

SQ said:
So she is not going to breed anymore
but she has 6 babies and 3 boys to give away
Plus two more litters that will be ready to leave mom in the next 2 to 4 weeks.
Good on you SQ. I hope theis unnecessary flood of kids can all be lucky. Thank goodness for no more..

Well, if the 3 boys are still in with the girls .... :(
Gave her info. on separating the sexes.
Fortunately the babies are too young to worry about yet.

Thanks Fidget, but I didn't change her mind about breeding
... the pet store not taking them and being overrun is what changed her mind.

Pic.s coming tomorrow.
Hoping they are very small litters.
She had 4 pregnant girls ... afraid to ask about the other litter as I assume the 6 are from the same litter.

edit: still waiting for pics ... keep checking my email but nothing yet ...

sigh so it was worse then i thought :doh:
unfortunately if we take these rats this woman hasnt learned anything about responsibility yet if we dont take them then what happens. i am really begining to hate people more and more. she thinks its ok to breed because its fun to have some babies to play with and make a little money to boot. she will do it again as soon as there is a market for them.

It doesn't pay to help people like that....she just will keep breeding them playing with the babies and expect someone else to bail her out........

No, they weren't going to pay her, just give her rat food ....
and she is only keeping her 4 girls.
It sounds like she has decided not to breed rats ever again.
Her pet store was having a hard time getting rats, said they would take any she bred and then changed their mind. I doubt she will trust them or any other pet store again.

These babies need good, loving homes where they will be given proper care
... meaning clean appropriate cages, good lab blocks, vegs, fruit, play time out of cage, toys, medical care, etc.
Otherwise being humanely pts would be better than all the other options.

She emailed me today ...

The 3 boys have gone to a friend of hers and are being `spoiled`.

As for the 3 litters of babies, she wrote:
the first litter is about 4-5 weeks old...the 2nd litter is 3-4 weeks and the 3rd litter is 2-3 weeks...some of the older babies I can tell the sexes...but not all of them...if I have boys they haven't dropped yet...I have about 8 from the first litter that can go...they are eating and drinking on their own and haven't bothered Mom for milk in the last week or so.

She sent the following pics of the babies:

babies01.jpg

babies02.jpg

babies03.jpg

Hope these little ones don`t go as feeders :(
Anyone have room for a couple of babies

i got the same email today, the cages look pretty cramped and dirty i wish i was closer to take a few babies. i dont have much room either here for more but..........
people sure get themselves into a pickle instead of breeding just one litter first.
too bad shes so far i will see if paula is still into taking a couple of rats or if she knows anyone since bridewater is closer then the city she may drive there.

It looks like she has all the babies and moms in the same tank.
I can see babies of very different sizes all in together :(
If anyone knows of good homes, please let me know.

It looks like there are black berks, black hoodies, at least one black capped, beige hoodies, beige selfs, and possibly an agouti.
Sent an email asking if any other colours.

That sucks. Wish people weren't so stupid about that.

It hurts because she bred them on purpose, so really she shouldn't be bailed out.....
But then again, it's really hard to turn your back on babies just because of stupidity.

some people have no idea how to reset their cameras clock...and when the batteries die it resets itself (the one at work does this)
but that is a random date for it to have (not like January which one would expect if it had reset)....

Oh bother. Those poor dears in that tank. :(

Back