250+ Things Only Rat Owners Will Understand

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#65 Forgetting to call them "pet rats" in conversations and someone walks up and thinks you are in sore need of an exterminator. Cause really...they are rats. I don't say "pet dog!" What a double standard.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

67. GGMR - the doom of all rat parents
68. wanting to train your rats to do tricks but they grab the treat before you can make them do the trick
69. when the rats are all snuggled in bed and you want to be a rat too
70. when your family members are iffy about the new pets, but end up having a heart rat from your mischief
71. Oh did someone pee on you? I had better lick it off!!!
72. Not being able to sleep without the snuffly rat sounds
73. Laughing at the poor rat squeaking softly on their back being force groomed (because you know they like it)

74. Putting more money and time into decorating their cages than you do on your own home.
75. Finding it perfectly normal to know about the various antibiotics, heart meds, PT meds and analgesics even though you are not sick and not a physician or vet.
76. Being unable to leave your place without calling out goodbye to the ratties. "Be good girls and boys!"

Love this thread!! And I also melt when a ratty licks me.

Last edited:
20) When it seems perfectly natural to have little holes in your bedsheet, blankets, etc.

...and your t-shirts and pants...and having beads or button missing and chewed off...

I LOVE this post!! And I love you guys. It's so good to have people that understand.

#79 - knowing exactly how and where to stroke and using just the right pressure and technique to get the best possible tail waggle

#80 - having the 'Rattie Shuffle' move down-pat when entering the rat room so no-one gets stepped on

Great thread! Let's keep it going! (So many good ones on this thread that I relate to...finishing your tea/food after ratty has had a drink or nibble, yep! And being used to scooping up lots of poops with your bare hands, daily..yep!)

#79 Always calling out a good night (and good morning) to your ratties first and last thing, every day.

#80 Baby talking to your rats (and yes, having them "answer" you back in your special "ratty voice". You ALL know what I am talking about! :)

#81 Watching a movie with a scene that has rats walking around in a basement or sewer...and it is supposed to be "creepy" or whatever, but you of course squeal with delight and say, "Awww, look at the widdle babies, soooo cute!"

#82 Avoiding long overdue vacations with your hubby because you both cannot stand to leave the ratties with anyone, knowing you would do nothing but worry, so you skip the vacation and you are cool with that.

#83 Giving them a treat that they do not need, simply because they give you that "look". God forbid you should ever deny them anything they want, right? :roll:

#84 Knowing that you are the beta, and the rats are the alphas, and that they have you wrapped around their little fingers to do their bidding, and....being totally cool with that! :lol:

#85 Hearing a single sneeze or ker-choo! from one of your ratties and jumping up in a panic to make sure there are not more sneezes, with one hand hovering over the phone to the vet!

#86 Doing tons of ratty laundry, every single week, and happily doing so, for your fur kids. :wink: (and yes, the human laundry is not the priority..babies first!)

#87 Having to resist the urge to want to nibble up your rat's ears, feet, fingers, etc, and gobble them up from cute overload. :tumkiss: (See #80..."Achilles, I want to eat up your footies! Achilles: "No, Mamma, I am still using my footies, you can't eats thems!" ) :lol:

#88 Getting the fabled "yawn and arm stretch" greeting from one of your rats (or the fabled licky kisses) and you feel so honored and loved...and it never gets old! Every time is magical!

#89 Knowing words that "non-rat" people have no idea about...like "rodentistry!" :mrgreen:

#90 Seeing your babies curled up and sleeping on a Winnie the Pooh blanket or a baby blanket with little teddy bears, ducks, etc, and just about bawling over how innocent and sweet your fur kids are...and always being in awe of how these beautiful little guys can just make you fall hopelessly in love more than you could have ever imagined. :cloud9: And...knowing that only your special rat parent friends (like all of you!) can understand what you are feeling!

Last edited:
Dang, my list was a tad long!

Sorry for hogging up so much of the 100 list...(*hanging my head in shame)...so can we make it the 200 list? Ha ha...I know there are way more than 100 things out there that rat folks know about! I would hate to see the list top out at 100...I love reading everyone's posts on this subject!

91, leaving them messages on the answering machine all day
92, gardening enough to feed an army so they have fresh food
93, more than half the dishes & every load of laundry is their stuff
94, cooking elaborate meals you wont eat just for them
95, creating a sewing technique to "punk out" everything they've chewed to bits by patching behind the chews in contrasting fabric & being proud enough of their handywork to wear it out like a new trend

#96 Wanting to hear their secret frequencies so badly that you buy a bat detector. (Which doesn't really work out, btw.)
#97 One of them manages to climb up the toilet (lid always down for safety of course) and tries to use the toilet paper holder to get up to the sink. Toilet paper EVERYWHERE.
#98 Having a difficult time cleaning the cages because you have that one (or two) that constantly climb down your arm, grab your finger, and try to pull you away because YOU ARE RUINING THEIR HOUSEKEEPING!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Add to #98 OR steal the cleaning supplies (which you have carefully selected so that if...or rather when they steal them are safe)
Papertowels being the absolute favourite to steal right off the roll!

Back