22 Month Old Hairless Rat Lost Balance and Strength

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aimeee

Hello!

My 22 month old hairless rat, Corgan, had a bit of an episode yesterday afternoon: He was eating and suddenly his back legs stretched out behind him and he went all flat. He's since been very wobbly, falling over when walking and rolling backwards when in his bed/down my jumper, to the point he falls out, he then can't right himself.

He is also walking very tall and tentatively.

Of course, I will get him to a vet and am just waiting for an appointment, but thought I would ask on here ahead of that.

He had a long term URI and was on Baytril for 2 months at the end of last summer. He has been on steroids daily since to try and keep him active and his appetite up (he's lost around 70g). He has half a tablet daily, with the ok to increase to a whole tablet, which I did last night (1mg). He has also had a cyst on his side, followed by an abscess by his undercarriage - both resolved with just cleaning and care at home. He has also struggled with a prlapsed penis since the abscess, though that seems to have resolved now (nothing for a month or so) - we had vet advice for that!

He is eating and drinking ok, so his appetite isn't lacking. After the turn yesterday his tail was quite warm, so I bathed it in cool water and it cooled it down. His symptoms haven't worsened since yesterday, but they're not better, either. He is also far more clingy than usual and is peeing a lot more (that's been noticeable over the last week or so, not sure if it's relevant).

Any ideas what I should perhaps prepare myself for?

Update: He has just eaten a teaspoon of soaked porridge oats. However, I had to hold the bowl and him up so he could manage - he can't grasp anything with his front feet, and when he is walking now I can hear his teeth dragging on the desk (he's in the office with me). Vet at lunchtime, but it's not looking good, is it?

I'm so sorry for your loss of your little man Corgan😢.
I've seen that teeth scraping with a PT, but whatever it was, he was certainly getting the best of love & care. My heart goes out to you.

1000006368.jpg

Back