2-year adoption AND "I got hooked on rats" anniversaries!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

Absolutely HUGE milestone was reached yesterday! Exactly two years ago (with a whole lot of nudging from my rescue), I finally made the jump from hamsters to rats ... and well, I never regretted it. Can't imagine my life without my lovebugs.

And guess what ... my very first two rats are still with me! So not only is this my 2-year "got hooked on rats" anniversary, its also Rufus' and Jasper's 2-year adoption anniversary as well! These wonderful man-rats have been the perfect rattie ambassadors for such a n00b like myself, and they opened my heart to 13 more. Both are now close to 2.5 years old, and they certainly show their age. Hasn't slowed them down any though, and Rufus still reigns as the alpha with Jasper as his right hand man.

My handsome boys two years ago
r04.jpg

My boys today
2year01.jpg

2year02.jpg

2year03.jpg

2year04.jpg

jorats said:
How did the rescue nudge you? Trying to convince you to do rats?

*Snerk* At adoption events, I'd be the only one not playing with the rats. My hands are really tiny, and I thought the rats were just too big. Hamsters regretfully are not the brightest bulbs in the rodent family, and if you're not hands on with them, they'll just walk right off of everything! I erroneously thought that rats were the same way. Weirdly enough, I was turned off by their size instead of their tails.

So when I started bemoaning the fact that hamsters weren't up to easing my depression caused by my husband's absence due to his previous job's crazy work schedule, the other rescue folks seized the opportunity to convince me of the awesomeness of rats. Although the rescue works with all California-legal rodents and rabbits, they are all rat folks at heart. They'd sneak rats into my hoodie sweatshirt during adoption events, and I'd end up spending the entire event with them snoozing on my shoulder. Hamsters regretfully are not shoulder buddies, and well, that was the turning point for me!

I made the same move from hamsters to rats and while hamsters are still adorable in their own little ways, I'm sold on rats. Happy Ratniversary! :dance:

Pluie said:
I made the same move from hamsters to rats and while hamsters are still adorable in their own little ways, I'm sold on rats.

Hehe, hamsters will be my first loves, and I'll probably always have at least one in my life. But I do have to admit, rats just give back so much more. So rats will remain in my life too!

rhapsody said:
jorats said:
How did the rescue nudge you? Trying to convince you to do rats?

*Snerk* At adoption events, I'd be the only one not playing with the rats. My hands are really tiny, and I thought the rats were just too big. Hamsters regretfully are not the brightest bulbs in the rodent family, and if you're not hands on with them, they'll just walk right off of everything! I erroneously thought that rats were the same way. Weirdly enough, I was turned off by their size instead of their tails.

So when I started bemoaning the fact that hamsters weren't up to easing my depression caused by my husband's absence due to his previous job's crazy work schedule, the other rescue folks seized the opportunity to convince me of the awesomeness of rats. Although the rescue works with all California-legal rodents and rabbits, they are all rat folks at heart. They'd sneak rats into my hoodie sweatshirt during adoption events, and I'd end up spending the entire event with them snoozing on my shoulder. Hamsters regretfully are not shoulder buddies, and well, that was the turning point for me!
Aww, that's an awesome story, what a wonderful surprise that turned out to be, isn't it?
I too got into rats simply because I wanted a pet that was more loving then the hamsters I had previously.

Back