---

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep and in the waterbowl (if there is one) and Maebn likes to fill her food and or water bowl with shavings as well :gaah:

I've seen poop in the dish, and food in the litter box as well. I have one of those double dishes used for cats, and my one girl has turned the empty one into a bed (I've seen her sleeping in it, and she's made a nest of paper towel now). Rats seem to have their own ideas what items should be used for lol. I don't get why they would do that to their food though, they're supposed to be smart and clean animals. :gaah:

Haha my girls do this. I think it's because rats usually go poop right after eating, so maybe since they're already there discovering,they just let it go? I do not know...mine have even peed in their bowls, it's annoying!

Mine empty their food bowls into the litter trays, then pee in the bowls and fill them with bedding! XD Rats are so rank sometimes :p

Rats are clean...it's just, their poops are hardly that rancid I mean, they eat them! They're putting them in the right place :giggle:

I shook out my girls' hammock the other day and lots of poops came out, and they were all small, so I know it's my younger girl who does it. I've also seen her pee as soon as she woke up, not caring that it's in her sleeping spot :? At least the older one I've seen use the litter box sometimes. My male has never had a single poop in there and I smell no urine on his hammock either, so maybe it's a personality thing :roll:

Buddy regularly pees in his yogurt dish. In my book, he is marking his food dish as a warning to any stray rats which may come lurking into his territory. :wink2:

He does, however, poop in specific places in the cage. It was nice when I had 3 boys because I had a pretty good idea which poop belonged to which rat. (when you have a little dude on chloramphenicol... you need to monitor the poop!!! :shock: )

Rats are clean! Where do you expect them to poop? They don't have the convenience of running water and plumbing like we do! So why do they pee in their porcelain? hmmmm.....

maybe because they've been there to watch us pee in ours? :cheeky: :laugh4: :bunnydance:

(sorry, overworked and underpaid results in a really bad sense of humor on a Monday evening... :cheeky: )

Back