Rat blocks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harlan can be bought in Guelph. Oxbow can be bought in many vet clinics. Both can be bought online, the HT from the US though so it can be expensive. She should be able to buy Extrusion at any pet stores that carry Living World like some Zellers, Pet Valu.

Yeah, unfortunately it's hard to tell you where exactly she should go since you just specified "Ontario".

She could also maybe get HT from Mumsyrat in Barrie, if she has extra.

Oxbow is not only found at vet clinics but often at Global Pet Foods stores. A Global should be able to order it in specifically, as well.

Lab blocks may contain everything needed, but I personally think they are so boring. My rats don't get any fresh mix, they get a human/fresh diet, two meals a day - a breakfast meal, and a dinner meal. There's not much sugar in their diet, and the treats are healthy too. I think as long as it is balanced out, a ratties enjoyment is very important too.

ratloveandcute said:
Lab blocks may contain everything needed, but I personally think they are so boring. My rats don't get any fresh mix, they get a human/fresh diet, two meals a day - a breakfast meal, and a dinner meal. There's not much sugar in their diet, and the treats are healthy too. I think as long as it is balanced out, a ratties enjoyment is very important too.

So what are some types of things you feed your ratties?

It's basically fruit, veg, and cereals.

Cucumber, broccoli, kale, apple, carrot, sultanas/raisons, wholemeal toast, egg, nuts (in moderation), cream cracker (moderation), cornflakes, rice krispies (hehe), non sugary cereals, baby foods. And a lot more. My mind has went flat.

So you don't feed a lab block at all? I only ask because most of those items you listed above are things my ratties get only as treats and some of those items not at all.

My friend picked this up today, she wants to know if it's ok.

ratfood.jpg

ratloveandcute said:

Boring? tell that to my rats that go nuts when you give it to them and gobble them up. Mine love their blocks (Harlan). I rather give them the blocks knowing that they got everything they need and supplement with veggies and some fruits. Homemade diets can be lacking in the vitamins and minerals that are needed.

ratloveandcute said:
It's basically fruit, veg, and cereals.

Cucumber, broccoli, kale, apple, carrot, sultanas/raisons, wholemeal toast, egg, nuts (in moderation), cream cracker (moderation), cornflakes, rice krispies (hehe), non sugary cereals, baby foods. And a lot more. My mind has went flat.

do you know what the daily recommended nutrional intake should be for your rats? does your diet meet that?

Ingraham said:
I found this at Wal-mart. Is it good?

http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/ ... tfood1.jpg
Crude Protein=13%
Crude fat = 5%
Crude fiber = 5%
Moisture = 12%

A bit blurry but maybe you can see ingredients here
http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/ ... tfood2.jpg

Also: Do you feed the same food to young and old rats?

Thanks

Seed mixes like this really aren't recommended. They give the rats the ability to pick and choose what ingredients they prefer, and they tend not to get a balanced diet that way.

Thanks for the answer on my previous question.

I was looking for Extrusion and saw one for Hamsters, is this the one mentioned on this site or os there a RAT version? Thy did have one by VERSELE-LAGA - "Rat 7 Mouse Pro"

Comments?

http://www.versele-laga.com/Nutri/Nutri ... 5339&rac=0

Product presentation
Rat & Mouse Pro is a professional feed for rats, mice and hamsters. This all-in-one formula prevents selective feeding behaviour. The specially formed pellets, with a delicious taste and rich in proteins, ensure excellent digestion and optimal dental health. Moreover they contain Florastimul for healthy intestinal flora, essential oils for good resistance and yucca-extract that greatly reduces unpleasant smells.
This product is available in 1 kg resealable FreshPacks with a window and 20 kg bulk bags. You will recognise Rat & Mouse Pro packages in shops from their striking chocolate brown colour. Why not buy one bag to try it out, your rat, mouse and/or hamster will be grateful for it.

Indicative nutrition values
Crude protein 20 %
Crude fat 4 %
Crude ash 6,5 %
Crude fibre 5,5 %
Calcium 1,1 %
Phosphorus 0,8 %
Vitamin A 22.000 IU/kg
Vitamin D3 2.200 IU/kg
Vitamin E 100 mg/kg
Copper(II)sulphate pentahydrate/copper 8 mg/kg

Ingredients
Cereals
Derivatives of vegetable origin
Vegetable protein extracts
Herbs
Seeds
Minerals
Fructo-oligosaccharides
Yucca extract

The Extrusion we mention is the one for hamsters.

That Mouse and Rat Pro is too high in protein. Plus, I hate it when they don't write specifically what's in the ingredients, which cereal?

I make my own rat food.
Otherwise, I would have to order blocks online, the only times I did, they were stale powder when they got here.
I asked the shelter store if they could order some, but they never called me back.
I just make my own = )

How bad is it if you feed Prolab/Labdiet?
Will it result in obese rats? Or sickly ones?
Im trying to get people to bring HT in to Singapore.
Hope there's at least one company that's willing.

Back