3 New boys.... :( Neuter day 5/19/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
well I was asked to take in 3 boys.... they are pretty bad looking to say the least. I was expecting them to look better because i know the people but I was sadden when I seen them.

581181_10151764712311409_514010471_n.jpg

1235451_10151764712396409_1185644619_n.jpg

999290_10151764712461409_742867269_n.jpg

I thought maybe the rat was rex.. but no... just losing his fur completely. He is very perky and very inquisitive so I think it is just from lack of food. His whiskers are bone straight. Not one ounce of curl....

it makes me sad that I put off a week to pick them up. I should of known better but My Jackson and Sebby was dying and I just couldnt deal with new intakes at the moment. It was a hard loss with Jackson. We have them in a cage with a hammock and a bowl of food and I think they are going to move away from the bowl. My daughter gave them some ensure without even asking me LOL usually she ask if she should, she could tell these babies need it. Hopefully we can get weight on them and get them healthy. Poor guys. I just dont get it at all......

Last edited:
Dahlas said:
ahhhhh poor boys...mites maybe?

I treated them with Revo but I honestly dont see any sores on them really or anything that would make me think mites. I went ahead and treated them anyway just to cover all ends

crumbilina said:
Woah, thats brutal!

Poor boys. They will be better in no time with you though :)

It is brutal. I picked him up out of the tank and was hoping my facial expression didnt show through. I just felt horrible for them. Poor boys. I almost felt like I should go get a cheese burger from McDonalds just for the 20 minute ride home, I didnt bring food with me since I was at work prior. I could see they were starving and I felt bad for not having food ready for them. I have them in a smaller cage but I am out of room seriously. But they lived in a tank so this is like a huge move up for them. I just need to get another critter nation for the rats that will give me some more room I think.

My vet once told me that adrenal issues can cause skin loss. Any idea on the age? The skin looks really good so it's not dermal I think.

Spoil those boys! Oh my gosh! I assumed he was a double rex. Poor fellow. Fatten then all up! At least they are in better hands now <3

hopefloats said:
Dahlas said:

I treated them with Revo but I honestly dont see any sores on them really or anything that would make me think mites. I went ahead and treated them anyway just to cover all ends

crumbilina said:
Woah, thats brutal!

It is brutal. I picked him up out of the tank and was hoping my facial expression didnt show through. I just felt horrible for them. Poor boys. I almost felt like I should go get a cheese burger from McDonalds just for the 20 minute ride home, I didnt bring food with me since I was at work prior. I could see they were starving and I felt bad for not having food ready for them. I have them in a smaller cage but I am out of room seriously. But they lived in a tank so this is like a huge move up for them. I just need to get another critter nation for the rats that will give me some more room I think.

You were hoping your facial expression DIDN'T show?!?! Whether you knew these people or not - a verbal beat down would of been appropriate :rant: Apparently it was too difficult for them to toss them a crumb off the food I'm sure they weren't going without!! Damn, I hate when people get animals they either cannot or do not want to take care of ..... A little TLC will go along way for these otherwise adorable looking boys :heart:

jorats said:
My vet once told me that adrenal issues can cause skin loss. Any idea on the age? The skin looks really good so it's not dermal I think.

I know ferrets have those issues a lot . I dont even think that is the case. I wish my scale was working but the battery is dead. I really think it is just no food....... He is so healthy acting other wise. He is a sweet nosey boy.

dspch911 said:
hopefloats said:
Dahlas said:

crumbilina said:
Woah, thats brutal!

You were hoping your facial expression DIDN'T show?!?! Whether you knew these people or not - a verbal beat down would of been appropriate :rant: Apparently it was too difficult for them to toss them a crumb off the food I'm sure they weren't going without!! Damn, I hate when people get animals they either cannot or do not want to take care of ..... A little TLC will go along way for these otherwise adorable looking boys :heart:

I know but it is harder when you take in animals often and honestly they wont learn. You just hide the face, take them and come here for moral support. I have ripped into a few but it doesnt do much good. It isnt easy but when you decide to rescue this is part you have to deal with.

clmntine said:
Spoil those boys! Oh my gosh! I assumed he was a double rex. Poor fellow. Fatten then all up! At least they are in better hands now <3
I thought he was too. They were told that if a rat is hairless is it mentally challenged. I had to straighten that one up. Tomorrow I will fix them all brown rice and veggies, they will eat good.......My kid will make it a point to spoil them with treats to fatten them up. I see ensure and eggs in their future,

Sebastian has come a long way from his URI and starvation!!! He's a whole different rat and I have no doubt that had I not taken him in he would no longer be here. Those boys will do just fine with food and TLC .... :heart: but should he be a rex, I have a comfy little spot for him..... :wink: Sebastian is still looking for a friend

dspch911 said:
Sebastian has come a long way from his URI and starvation!!! He's a whole different rat and I have no doubt that had I not taken him in he would no longer be here. Those boys will do just fine with food and TLC .... :heart: but should he be a rex, I have a comfy little spot for him..... :wink: Sebastian is still looking for a friend

Well his whiskers are very straight so not one ounce of rex in him... I think he will be ok once he gets his weight on. I cannot wait to see the transformation on them this one will be huge. I will take more pictures when I have time to sit with them they are kinda scared.

Oh goodness..those poor babies...I'm glad you got them. That looks like borderline abuse/neglect...I'm so glad you picked them up, the time it took you to do so doesn't matter, because now they're with you. And I know you'll take great care of them. Please post pictures of their recovery if they do so (which I am sure they will).

I dont think they had much longer to live if I didnt take them. I think it is just a matter of time before they started to go down hill and die. It is sad but they will be better now. I will spoil them to death LOL a healthy death at old age...

I am waiting on the ages for them Jo..... I cannot even guess with their current state. They are to scruffy to even guess.

Its actually frightening to learn that he isnt a double rex.

I cant wait to see how where this story goes because these will be some amazing boys. I imagine you will have a lot of fun seeing them blossom and show their character.

I so look forward to following their story.

*warm snuggles from me and my chubby boys*

Ahhh, their guardian angel came to you and whispered in your ear that they needed you. And you listened! These boys are so lucky you are a wonderful and caring person. :nod:
I can't wait to see the pictures of them filling out and becoming sweet, fat, snuggly man-rats. :D

That is so sad. I just don't understand people. You'll have to keep us updated on these guys!

Back