Took in 14 rats, will need adopters LOL

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww look at those sweet little babies! Getting cuter and cuter :) How are mom and dad doing?

What was the story on these guys? Do I want to know?

Aww look at those sweet little babies! Getting cuter and cuter :) How are mom and dad doing?

What was the story on these guys? Do I want to know?

Its just a LOT of typing on a cell phone when I suck bigtime at typing on cell phones. I FINALLY got my internet back this morning but now you are going to have to wait until tomorrow...I missed so many Raptors games I am NOT missing another one LOL

Those little guys are so freaking precious! I love the little white one just snoozing away without a care in the world :)

Readers digest version:

I answered an ad on kijiji, someone had a litter of babies and was looking for homes but also was asking if anyone had a friend or 2 for the male as well.

I emailed her asking her if she had thought of keeping 2 baby boys for the male, and we started conversing.

Story - soft-hearted woman kept stealing rats from being fed to the snake. After the snake refused them, they were dumped in a box with no food or water for a week. If they survived...good, if not, more rats would be bought. It started with one female, then another, then Tatiana (as I named her) and finally a male (of which she didn't recognize as male until she saw obvious mating, and pulled him out to put him into a cage with smaller barspacing).

Unfortunately, 2 girls were pregnant, a PEW and my Tati. Tati being a tiny young scared thing had 4 babies on Oct., 13th, then 2 days later, the PEW had 8 more, which she promptly dumped in with Tati's babies and walked away, to ignore them ever more. Tatiana fed them all, kept them all alive...but basically milked the flesh off her own bones.
She was also kept in the bottom of the stack of 3 cages, a large bunny cage where she could slip easily through the bars and get out...she would climb all around her tower, defending it with extremely ready teeth. When I talked to Monica, she said she hadn't seen or heard any babies for 3 days (she had never handled them or any of the rats except for when she picked them up to rescue them)...so we arranged to meet that night at Scarborough Town Centre and she drove me to her home in Whitby.
I was sooo worried that the babies were dead, or mom had relocated them, or the babies had gotten through the bars and been killed by the 4 cats and excited little chihuahua.
Luckily when I lifted the nest, there was all 12... *whew* but they were scary tiny!!!!! Like half the size and development they should've been. Mom was scary thin and small too, and very very defensive. A true biter. Not just one who was misunderstood. I get bitten regularly with her, but strangely enough her babies are confident, sweet, licky and playful. She's a GREAT little mom, great with other rats, just hates humans and especially hands...although elbows for some reason have been incredibly tasty lately :(

I ended up taking home Dad, now named Gus, who's a sweet boy who didn't know he was unsocialized. A lot of squirming initially then "Ohhhhh", the lightbulb goes off in his head :D Tatiana and her 12 monkeys also came home that night.
I left the 2 other girls after showing Monica how to handle and hold these 2. Being feeder rats I had a short time to work with them but they were very receptive. The fawn is quieter but more nervous, the more overt PEW was awesome, from stinky fear poop, to bruxxing, sprawled over my arm in 20 mins :D Then we went to Dollarama, and Petsmart to pick up proper supplies, and she was going to get them a wheel from Pet Valu the next day. :D

The babies are fat and sassy now and now that I have my computer again, I can take nice pics and post them :D

Last edited:
I These are the 2 girls I left with Monica, the PEW is the other mom.

mms_20141106_100826.jpg

Aww, sounds like she's a kind lady that maybe just had no idea what she was doing? Hopefully she does well with the remaining 2 girls, they look pretty content sleeping in their basket :) Hopefully mama Tati comes around eventually.. even if she doesn't end up being a lap rat, at least maybe she'll relax a little so she can enjoy life. I'm sure you'll work your magic lilspaz!

As for the babies, yes please to more pictures! :p Do the babies seem like they're normal size now, or do you think they'll always be little?

Shelagh saves the day once again! Or is that saves the rats? =p

It does seem like maybe she was coming from a good place but things clearly got out of control. Now that you have helped her I hope she can do things right.

I would love some pictures of the babies too but I know you will get to it when you can.

Poor Tati and your elbows! She seems like such a good mom despite circumstance.

I'm glad this rescue was a bit more positive than some. Hopefully this lady will become more and more educated about rats and give those girls a good home. :)
I hope Tatiana will mellow once her mothering days are done. She needs to learn that people are the bringers of tasty treats and loving scritches.

We have run into a wee glitch with Miss Tatiana, or Teeth for short :p

Before she didn't care what I did with her babies but now something's changed...she now attacks babies that smell like me or have been playing with me...so we had to switch tactics.

They got moved to a bigger cage, and she's doing really well in there, but I had to pull the top off the whole cage to get her out. I took out all the babies while she was out, and I'll put them back in the cage before she goes back, so hopefully she doesn't smell that one is "different"...as it scares me when she goes after her own babies :(

I am keeping the blue girl for sure to keep with Tatiana, just in case her babies are keeping her more sane than usual. The blue girl picked me, I really had no choice in the matter. The others would slip out of the cage, but she would come to find me...and when I held her would cuddle down and brux. She's also a serious troublemaker...hopefully she can teach her mom that I am okay and not the horrible ogre she's sure I am.

I am posting the link to the recent pics I just uploaded of the babies for people who want to see (patient adopters, etc), but will post them up on commercials.

Time for my Raptors game!! :bounce:

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/rattiluv/library/?view=recent&page=1

Awwwww! It's amazing that the babies are all so sweet and friendly despite their mom being a meanie :p It's too bad that momma Teeth is being such a sass! Hopefully putting them back in advance and getting the smells mixed up stops her from beating up those little cuties :( and hopefully she comes around soon.

The Plan worked well, once she was out, she seemed a lot less manic than before, was thrilled to see her old friends and especially old old Bart. She was much calmer, more content even and kept going to sleep, even near me...she wasn't hyper alert anymore. I think she was glad of some adult company like most parents who have little kids and spend all their time with them LOL. She kept cuddling up to Bart and pressing her face to the side of his...sooo sweet! She was much calmer around me and not one nip attempted. I even fell asleep by mistake, woke up an hour-ish later and she hadn't tried to bite me. I found her on the desk, sadly had to corner her a little to pick her up, and she reared up once (tracking my hand for a bite) then stopped, went down on all fours, and waited while I picked her up and gave her a kiss for being sooooo good!!!

The babies were wonderful as usual. The PEW's and the full agouti's need a bit more work compared to their more outgoing and colourful siblings. :D The black boy going to marissaceleste, is the most outgoing and largest of the group. He's very licky and very in your face..he's actually one of Tatiana's real babies. Trihkal's girl the black capped with head notch, is another one of Tati's real babies, then there's a big PEW girl and a full agouti berk who is also slightly older than the other 8.

The agouti cap is everywhere, the agouti cap with spots on his back is right behind. The PEW's are slowest to approach and come around, but they also have the worst eyesight so we shall forgive them. They are all sweet, and Tati created some confident happy babies. They don't see her aggression towards humans so have not learned it. She's not fearful which would make less confident babies and she's an awesome mom. Considering these babies were only held their first time a week ago?? Its amazing.

Nov1114agoutibbboyandblackboy.jpg~original

Nov1114blackboy.jpg~original

Nov1114blackandagoutispotboy.jpg~original

Nov1114agoutiswithspotsandbareback.jpg~original

Nov1114babies6.jpg~original

Nov1114babies5.jpg~original

Nov1114babies3.jpg~original

Nov1114babies7.jpg~original

This little man couldn't stop bruxxing LOL

Nov1114agoutiboybruxxing.jpg~original

and I *think* this is his brother :D

Nov1114agoutiboy2.jpg~original

Nov1114agoutibbboy.jpg~original

Nov1114babies3.jpg~original

Nov1114baby2.jpg~original

Nov1114baby.jpg~original

Trihkal's girl in the front

Nov1114babies.jpg~original

Nov1114babies2.jpg~original

Getting sleepy..zzzzz

Nov1114babies4.jpg~original

Someone's already passed out!

Nov1114sleepybaby.jpg~original

My heart totally melted. They are all adorable. I made my boyfriend look at all the pictures with us. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. The babies seem really sweet. I'm glad Teeth is having a good day haha. I hope that continues for both of you.

Oh my goooodness!! The black boy sounds like he'll fit right in in my group.. a bunch of big, fat, licky boys :p

From the sounds of it (and the pictures), it seems like even the most shy babies are still pretty social. I definitely think the PEW's eyesight has something to with it.. my first rats (both PEWs) took quite a while to get totally comfortable with me.. they were fine to sit on my lap or run around and were very social, but if I moved too quickly/without warning they'd jump and freeze. Eventually they learned to just ignore the giant human-beast haha

And that's great that mama Teeth is feeling happier today! Hopefully she continues to improve :)

Back