The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone.
I just had a typical question: What are my rats' color called?

Smokey:
I pretty much just say he's grey or charcoal, but does anyone know of a specific name for his color?
And what about his markings?
DSC_0374.jpg

He almost looks brown outside.
Petsbutmostlyrats037.jpg

Ratsintheplaypen028.jpg

Charlie:
Siamese? Himi? What's the difference? lol
What color point?
Thefourrats022.jpg

Petsbutmostlyrats118.jpg

Thefourrats064.jpg

Bobo:
Bobo is a really light beige bareback... but he also has the darker coloring on his nose... is there any name for that? haha
You can't see the hooded part on his head in pictures.
Thefourrats031.jpg

Ratsintheplaypen093.jpg

You can kind of see the beige on his head here:
Ratsintheplaypen211.jpg

Timmy:
Well, he's pretty much just a beige self, right? haha
Ratmeeting032.jpg

Deno:
Same markings as Smokey...
He's pretty much just black right?
DENO010.jpg

I only put on picture each for Timmy and Deno because I don't think there's much more to it than beige and black. :p

Smokey looks to be a mink hooded or variegated with headspot.
Charlie looks siamese. siamese is with a cream body and himi is with a white body.
Bobo...a smeeze? I'm unclear on the definition of smeeze.
Timmy beige self.
And Deno, black hooded.

jorats said:
Smokey looks to be a mink hooded or variegated with headspot.
Charlie looks siamese. siamese is with a cream body and himi is with a white body.
Bobo...a smeeze? I'm unclear on the definition of smeeze.
Timmy beige self.
And Deno, black hooded.

Oh, a mink!
I thought so too, but google always showed so many different colors when I typed it in, that I wasn't sure which was which. :p

I thought "smeeze" was just short for siamese? :/

Thank you!
It's fun to know exactly what they're classified under. ;P

Smeeze is Siamese. Bobo is a Siamese bareback. In other words, Siamese is his color, bareback is the marking.

I have a quick question too. I see that most people use fleece instead of bedding in their rats' cages. How do you put it without the rats managing to remove it? Also, does it mean they'll have to be litter-trained too? My cage is always a mess with 7 rats. I'm jealous of the cute, colorful and tidy cages I see in pictures :?

Some use binder clips to hold them down. Or liners that grip the pan... My rats chew them if they are connected so I just set mine in there usually... My cages only look pretty right after I clean them then the rats decorate!

Yes, the majority of those pretty pictures are right after a cleaning! My rats are pretty destructive with the fleece, so I go through phases of frantic repair and patching to keep shelf liners in use. They chew holes in the fleece to get underneath it. Eventually it needs to be cut up into scrap pieces and a new full piece used. But I like it better than wood chips, even though I have to do 'rattie laundry' often.

Joanne said:
Yes, the majority of those pretty pictures are right after a cleaning! My rats are pretty destructive with the fleece, so I go through phases of frantic repair and patching to keep shelf liners in use. They chew holes in the fleece to get underneath it. Eventually it needs to be cut up into scrap pieces and a new full piece used. But I like it better than wood chips, even though I have to do 'rattie laundry' often.

Lol I think I may start posting pics of before cleanings just to make people feel better. Cause 6 boys in a FN is a lot of poop.
My rats are not litter trained, and having the fleece makes it easier for me to clean. I just wrap up most of the poo in the fleece and then shake it out in a big trash bag. Then I just throw the blankets in the laundry with unscented soap or vinegar and put it all back again a few hours later... I really should make a second set...

I have posted some picture of my dirty cages LOL i always feel insecure about it.....but 12 boys, well they poop everywhere.

Can I leave my six (6) rattie kids in the same Super Pet Exotics cage...
They are getting along great, despite not being from the same liter. The two cages I have are gonna be connected soon but for now they are sleeping in a cute lil' pile in the top cage and I don't really wanna split them up, I'm scared that they'll forget each other ... and they look soo happy and warm!

I'll prob. split them up before bed in case of squabbles but for now!

are they all the same age? are any older ones involved? and how old are they.

Sebastian was tossed with the other 8 boys when I got them at 3 and 4 weeks old. They did fine at that age. I also put another baby, Romeo I had here right in with them he was about 6 or 7 weeks old. They all did fine.

Petunia said:
what are the chances that 3 boys from the same litter all have a PT?

There is a genetic component to PT... two sisters I had started showing symptoms at the same time and another girl I had passed away of PT the same week her brother (that lived with Jo) did.

My kids have been living under and above each other for quite some time, just now cause of cage cleaning I threw them together and their all sleeping in a pile so I just hate to be a party pooper and separate them.

And the worrie is cause it's six in one cage and kinda goes against the cage calculators recommendations of four!

*Rebel_Angel* said:
My kids have been living under and above each other for quite some time, just now cause of cage cleaning I threw them together and their all sleeping in a pile so I just hate to be a party pooper and separate them.

And the worrie is cause it's six in one cage and kinda goes against the cage calculators recommendations of four!

It depends on the rats and age. Older males do not like having to share space, some get cranky over it. Are you planning on getting them more space soon?

I have two cages that I'm waiting to get connected so that they have alot of space.
And I have just two older girls, my crew is all girls!

If it's a short while I wouldn't be worried about it. As long as they're getting along OK. I fudge the cage calculator when I go to the cottage - I know it's just for a few days. Make sure they get lots of out-time.

All six are squeezed into the igloo now and Kaina is piling scraps of tissue paper in there, I feel like a proud mom!

I'll try it, and ya they will prob. be connected this week!

I asked the age because if they are young, then problems may hit when they are 4 months old up..

Back